Thread: South Fork of Eagle River

Default South Fork of Eagle River

I just wanted to give everyone a status update incase you are interested in running the south fork. The water is at a good level but another 2-3 inches would make the run amazing. There is lots of wood in the river but nothing must be portaged. There is a very low tree across about half way down between the bridges. There is a good eddy just before it to access the situation and either portage of slide under it. Both foot bridges that were a must portage in the past have been swept away with pieces throughout the lower half of the river. This was my first run of the river but had a great time and found that the last 300 yards before the pullout to be very exciting. I made the run with a loaned elevated GoPro mount from VuVantage.com and am very excited to look over the footage! Expect to see a video here in a few weeks.
    -JR

Default Lower lower scout mission

Hey Jr John loves that run too, so he took me up there and we ended up on a scouting mission. We scouted the section below the takeout to see what all of the fuss was about. I then determined, I will use the regular takeout after seeing what was down there. The first half a mile was not any worse than whats by the bridge, but half a mile, or so, further we saw some savage whitewater, not for me. I hear there are falls in there, thats what we were looking for, but we quit walking and turned around, way to steep for me to even consider. With wood clearing what we saw looked runnable, but not by me, a screw up would be a horrible thing. One drop we looked at was like a Little Su rapid but much, much steeper and 10 times longer, with class III+ at the bottom leading around a corner to who knows where.

I have not looked the falls over but I hear that you can check out at least one if you drive down river view to the end and cross the South fork and walk up hill a few min. But was also told that they are not runnable unless you enjoy landing on a rock pile.
    -JR

Default water level

The South Fork is nearly unrunnable at the current low water, pretty bumpy. When at the bridge for the lower section takeout, make sure the first big rock in the middle of the stream is covered, on the upstream side of the bridge. It should look pretty clean through there. Watch for wood on the blind corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark oathout; 07-16-2012 at 11:42.

Default S.F. sections and obstacle warning

The river/creek, is divided into these three sections. The upper is above treeline and ends at the foot bridge on the Symphony Lakes trail where the middle starts, the middle ends at the lower section put in bridge/ trailhead parking, furthest road access,upper culvert, while the lower ends at the second road culvert, and is the culvert to culvert run. Below this point the creek steepens, has a ton of wood, at least one class V+ drop, and an unrunnable 40ft waterfall, so take out where it is suggested.

The middle section has a few surprises, needs clean-up, and contains a few steepish drops to boot/ small ledges and boulder garden drops. This section is a two mile hike to the foot bridge on the trail. There are a few sweepers that nearly cross the creek and there are two bridges which must be portaged. The first bridge is made of old logs and may be runnable at low water, but there is a steep boulder drop right behind it which is tricky looking at lower water. The next bridge catches you by surprise, immediatly catch an eddy or grab bushes to stop and get out, or your going to be swept out of your boat. Right around the corner is a log jam, go all the way to the left channel, and river left, in that channel, around the next sweeper.

Here is a clip John made last year of the middle and lower.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKq8Z...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingsurfer View Post
    does rereading your posts ever make you vomit? probably not, but just wondering...
    Thank you for your interesting point of view!
    -JR