Thread: Bear attack near Campground Rapids?

Default Bear attack near Campground Rapids?

While rafting Eagle River last night with my wife, we ran into a posted sign at the Campground Rapid sitting area about a brown bear attack that happened on June 11. There is a trail from the campground to the bridge that we usually jog our shuttle and scout. Apparently the authorities have closed the trail/area until further notice. The media typically jumps all over this stuff, but I have not heard of anything. Do any of you know what’s up?

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    While rafting Eagle River last night with my wife, we ran into a posted sign at the Campground Rapid sitting area about a brown bear attack that happened on June 11. There is a trail from the campground to the bridge that we usually jog our shuttle and scout. Apparently the authorities have closed the trail/area until further notice. The media typically jumps all over this stuff, but I have not heard of anything. Do any of you know what’s up?

Josh
    maybe one of these, most likely the 1st one considering the date you provided: http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/

Quote Originally Posted by crmcd79 View Post
    maybe one of these, most likely the 1st one considering the date you provided: http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/
    No, neither of those took place near Eagle River Campground. The most recent one mentioned was near Bird Creek and the other was up by the Visitor's Center.

Man, I sure love AK but you Anchorage/ER folks wanting to live with bears in your yard is beyond me! Heck I don't mind if my yard is in the way to where they want to go and they walk through occasionally but when they see me they better move along! Any other reaction in a populated area is not really acceptable in my mind. I sure don't want to kill all bears but I am ok killing all the ones trying to live in my yard. They sure wouldn't tolerate me trying to curl up in their den with em so I figure eventually we would come to an understanding!

This really should go in the new bear foru.... oh wait, nevermind
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

The ER valley bears are just...different. Aggressive to say.

They come into Riverview lookin for food, for many years there was a family who raised a modern day Noah's ark which drew in the wolf pack and the bears. To the west were the llamas and goats.

I've seen many along the river, spooked a few and had 1 come across the river.

Just be on your toes. Especially during salmon season, Southfork does get fish in up to the waterfall.

Have no info about the attack. Call Ian Thomas with CSP.

Lujon, at what point is a major river your back yard and at what point is it the bears? Good fences make good neighbors, so show me where the fences are in eagle river valley. It used to be the bears had almost a whole side of the valley between ER town proper and Hiland /S fork side. Now look what the real estate pimps did to that side if the valley and do you see a problem?

That whole area has been settled with no thought regarding wildlife corridors, it's nearly as simple as that. that new high school was the last straw. In terms of choking off anything substantial you could call wild on that stretch of river.

Most of this isn't garbage bears, it's bears just trying to live and feeling claustrophobic / repeated surprise encounters. My two cents

Frankly the area is apparently needed to house the people of Anchorage and to that end unfortunately the dangerous game needs to go. It is now an urban area and bears can't live in that environment without becoming habituated.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Frankly the area is apparently needed to house the people of Anchorage and to that end unfortunately the dangerous game needs to go. It is now an urban area and bears can't live in that environment without becoming habituated.
    Perhaps we should apply for a multimillion dollar grant to relocate bears.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Perhaps we should apply for a multimillion dollar grant to relocate bears.
    Sounds good...it's not like any bears would actually have to be relocated, but you could get some bad*ss trucks and stuff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Sounds good...it's not like any bears would actually have to be relocated, but you could get some bad*ss trucks and stuff!!!!
    I think helicopter would be best. Oh and a special permit to run a jet boat up the river.

my mistake. maybe give adf&g a call if you haven't already.