Thread: 338 nickel brass opinion

Default 338 nickel brass opinion

I am using nickel brass in my 338 browning A bolt and am looking for general opinions on the difference between standard brass and nickel brass.

thanks

I think nickel cases have an advantage in straight-walled pistol cases because they work well in carbide dies without lube.
    I use nickel 35 Whelen cases in my Ackley Improved rifle, but don't see any difference between them and brass cases, no better or worse.

I shot a ton of it in .38 Special with no issues. I have never used it in a rifle. I did hear it will "flake" off some times, but really don't know. A friend uses it in his .375 H&H because he was told it feeds better, ya got me. Never saw a .375 H&H that did not feed well.

I load and prefer it in all my rifles. Stands up to salt water better and feeds smoother. If you look, many dangerous game loads come factory loaded in Nickle. It is a little harder than regular brass, but I have never had any issues with flaking or die damage and I have loaded hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I heard that RCBS says that Nickel Coated Brass can damage your die and reccommends against it. I verified that via email.

The Nickel can flake off.

I've used Nickel Brass for 357, 38 Special, and have done some in 44 Mag. without problems, but I prefer brass, brass. (Nickel won't corrode in leather belt loops like brass will.) I understand that was the reason for it in the first place. ????

I don't do Nickel bottle neck cases.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've run nickel plated bottle neck cases for the past 20 years. Use it for hunting rounds in:

.264 Win (7mm Mag necked down)
    .30-30
    .30-06
    .30 Gibbs
    .300 Win
    .375-338

Never had a problem or ruined a die.