Thread: Yamaha Warrior Electric Start Issue (Pulling my hair out!)

Default Yamaha Warrior Electric Start Issue (Pulling my hair out!)

We've got two '87 Yamaha Warrior 350s that are running great but one of our bikes has recently developed an issue with the electric start (pull starts just fine).

Having two identical wheelers here gives us the luxury of quickly swapping with known good parts from the warrior that doesn't have any electric start issues. We've swapped the following:

-Starting circuit cut-off relay
    -Neutral relay
    -Starter relay
    -Checked fuse...good
    -Checked battery...good (and swapped for good measure)
    -Rectifier/Regulator
    -CDI Unit
    -Ignition Coil

We've got a neutral light from the main switch and when you press the start button, you get the typical buzzing like you do when your battery is almost dead and you don't have enough juice to engage the starter.

We've put voltage DIRECTLY onto the starter and to ground and the starter starts the machine. The starter was also taken off and tested locally.

Any ideas?

Check all your grounds. Quickest way to check is to put a jumper cable on the negative battery post and clamp it to the starter body making a good connection. See if that helps.

Right after I wrote that post, we had dinner and went back out and made smores with the kids. The wheeler was snickering at us and we decided to tackle it again. We did JUST as you suggested and it turned out it was the ground. The best we can figure is the negative battery terminal was corroded inside the crimped fitting just enough to not allow full current flow. We determined this through use of the jumper cables straight to the starter and to ground that the negative battery lead was corroded on the inside just enough to not allow full current flow. We snipped the bad terminal off, stripped the wire back a hair, touched it to the battery terminal and we are in business! 3 days later we found the $0.80 part to be the culprit...figures!!
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 06-16-2012 at 11:05.

Good job! See you didn't need any help. Just took a quick break to clear the mind and whammo fixed A lot of what I work on is old so I try to remember and factor in weather and physical condition when diagnosing stuff. Sure helps when you have an identical one to steal parts from though!