Thread: Big Su first Timer Success

Default Big Su first Timer Success

So while I was on my last R&R from work I decided to take my little brother and his new wife out for some fishing fun. She is new to Alaska and has never caught a king salmon. The fishing wasn't really hot at the Deshka but we decided to try our luck. We got there a bit late at around noon and started throwing lures.

My little brother picked up a 10 pounder about an hour after arriving and then on her first cast after my brother fish she hooked into a perfect size king. I say perfect size because if it would have been any larger she probably wouldn't have been able to hold on. We had the drag set pretty loose so that she could play the fish out but while the fish was running she accidentally put here thumb on the spool of the baitcasting reel and it got wedged between the reel body and the spool. OUCH!! She started yelling at my brother but we just thought she was yelling because she thought it was heavy. We had no idea that her thumb was actually stuck in the reel. After she started yelling a bit louder we figured it out and got her thumb out. She was a trooper though and still fought the fish all by herself. We netted it from the stern of the boat and congratulated her on her very first king salmon. It was only about 10 pounds (24 inches) but it was definitely headed to the freezer.

I will admit my shame and say that I got skunked that day. I fished until about 4:30 and then gave up.

I haven't spent much time on the Big Su since I grew up in the interior but I had heard that the hooligan run up the river for spawning and that you can dip them on the river. We never expected to get anything but we brought a small net with us to give it a try. We pulled out into the Su and drove around a few bends to try our luck. I couldn't believe what I saw when my brother lifted the net out of the water. He had only put it in for about 20 seconds and then he started yelling that he couldn't pull it in. I thought he had gotten caught on a branch because I had positioned him close to the bank but I was surprised when his wife helped him lift a net full of 300 hooligan over the side of the boat. We loaded up on about 800 hooligan in less than 10 minutes. That should give us shrimping and halibut bait for the next 2 years. I was pretty excited about the hooligan since it was my first time ever attempting to dipnet for them.

All and all I think we had a pretty great day. The sun was shining and we caught fish. One thing that I forgot to mention is that we made my sister-in-law kiss her first king salmon for good luck as is custom with our traditions. In fact, when she got close to giving it a small peck, my brother shoved the whole thing in her face. I would say she should have some pretty good fishing luck form now on. My brother on the other hand should be watching out for some revenge.

I just thought I would share a newcomers experience on the river and a king salmon first timer. I hope all first timers get as lucky as she did. Enjoy the photos of my little bro and his wife. ~907

IMG_2216.jpgDSCN0606.jpg

kool congrats. nice fish. welcome to alaska. hope her thumb feels better. ouch!!!

Sounds like a great day! Congrats on the catches.