Thread: Fish Stocking

Default Fish Stocking

Quick question, I was looking atg the adf&g stocking update and the numbers are questionable. Would they really only stock 6 rainbows and 12 char in a lake? am I reading the numbers right or are then multiples of 100....

Default I seen that too

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Quick question, I was looking atg the adf&g stocking update and the numbers are questionable. Would they really only stock 6 rainbows and 12 char in a lake? am I reading the numbers right or are then multiples of 100....
    I remember seeing that too. Thought that was sort of weird. Must be a data entry mishap. The other thing that strikes me funny is that ADFG put 3700 catchable rainbows in Beach Lake and I can't find a single one. It's a small lake, where are all those fish hiding at?

well it says those 3700 were avg weight of 76 somthing, im guessing grams which makes them really really small. If it is in oz then i want to go find some of those 700 oz rainbows in cheney lake!

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    The other thing that strikes me funny is that ADFG put 3700 catchable rainbows in Beach Lake and I can't find a single one. It's a small lake, where are all those fish hiding at?
    Last time I fished there most the fish were in two 5 gallon buckets of an oriental man and his sons. pure greed and nobody at the troopers cared. But heaven forbid if they see you with a red hooked outside the mouth and keep it.

Well they probably care but not too much because the fish that are being stocked either die of winterkill or cannot reproduce well.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

it shouldn't matter,because all fish are going to die! And IMO the asian guy should get in more trouble, 2 (5) gallon buckets?????? *** that is crap. The intent and greed is way more concerning to me then hook placement of a red relative to the inside of a mouth of a fish.

I agree with all of you guys but call a trooper and see what happens....they will probably be like oh sorry sir but thats not high on our priority list. your better off calling a game warden but dont be suprised if they do not show up either. I called ADF&G yesterday becuase i saw a whole family of asians poaching. They just kept pulling em out of the water and they were only 4-5" rainbows. I got a ok sir can you give us there location..etc etc etc, no one ever showed up I know because i was out on the lake for another 4 hours hunting some of the actual keepers. Landed me one 18" and C&R about 30 trout between 4" and 9". Was my very first time flyfishing on a lake, using nymphs and using dry flies. had a blast watching them do a surface strike. My only question is with such a tiny fly how does one cast them further than 10-15 ft. I always ended up with fly line coiled on the surface and my fly only about half way to where i wanted it.

A few months ago in the Chena rec area I met the head ranger with the northern district of the Alaska parks, and he said he was really interested in catching these guys but they're stretched very thin. If the poachers you're seeing are on state land (and if these are stocked ponds they probably are, but in any event the stocked fish were put there by the state), maybe you can get some action out of the rangers.

On the casting thing, don't worry about the size of the fly - you're casting the line, not the fly. The rod acts as some combination of a lever and a spring and the timing is critical, but once you "get" it you're golden. If you can't get to a casting class or find someone to give you a lesson there are some great casting instruction videos on YouTube.