Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Question

Default AR-15 Question

Is there any component/part of an AR-15 that would be damaged if submerged for 15 years in SAE-30W Motor Oil....??? Motor oil is virgin.

I'd be concerned about any and all plastic parts.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd be concerned about any and all plastic parts.
    I have motor oil that I bought 20+ years ago, and it came in a plastic container. Besides the Buttstocks slide right off.

Why are you doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Why are you doing this?
    Long term storage.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there any component/part of an AR-15 that would be damaged if submerged for 15 years in SAE-30W Motor Oil....??? Motor oil is virgin.
    why not just cosmoline it

PS when ya come to town I have $$ for you

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    why not just cosmoline it
    If I dig it up and it is -17 degrees, it is hard to remove the cosmoline, while running, and being shot at.

If I dig it up and it is -17 degrees, it is hard to remove the cosmoline, while running, and being shot at.
    How would motor oil at -17 fair building pressure in the gas block?

How are you digging up anything at -17?

At -17 you are definately going to have issues clearing 30 weight out of the gas tube.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Why would you burry an AR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    How are you digging up anything at -17?
    I know someone who has buried quite the stash of arms and ammo for a "SHTF" venue- but seeing as the ground is frozen for so much of the year...those were my thoughts as well.
    No disrespect intended toward the OP- I am sure he is better equipped than most to handle all situations.

You don't bury the 120MM cans, you zip-tie them to the bottom of fallen trees.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I know someone who has buried quite the stash of arms and ammo for a "SHTF" venue- but seeing as the ground is frozen for so much of the year...those were my thoughts as well.
    No disrespect intended toward the OP- I am sure he is better equipped than most to handle all situations.

Mostly I cache freeze dried meals, I can get 36 to 40 in one 120MM ammo can. Throw in some candles, lighters, matches, soup can, solo stove, volcano stove, etc.

[QUOTE=AKHunterNP;1134374]Why would you burry an AR?

Why would you assume only one, why not assume eight.........in eight different valleys.

what about wrapping your weapon in a light oil soaked towel and vac seal it with some of those humidity crystals. Or even just apply a light oil straight onto the weapon and wrap in a towel so the sharp edges don't poke the bag as you vac it

Myself, I would fortify as opposed to setting up for escape and evasion. Im too fat to run and my Hello Kitty snow boats don't handle the cold for a long time.

I'm not assuming only one, but guns are useless if they are burried and unloaded. If THEY come for them it would be better to have them within arms reach with a stack of mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Myself, I would fortify as opposed to setting up for escape and evasion. Im too fat to run and my Hello Kitty snow boats don't handle the cold for a long time.
    If the place was over run with soldiers of any counrty or force you wouldn't have a chance. Tuck tale and run method works better. Gives you an opportunity to regroup, observe and plan a strike opposed to them just showing up in large numbers and trying to mow them down with your 10k rounds of stored ammo. You might get a few of them but they will get you. AGL is going the safer more realistic route setting up caches that he could get to in fair order and use. I'm more worried about the blue helmets than any other force showing up on my door step and think I would be best to run and hide and pick them off in smaller more managable groups, not that I have thought about this stuff before!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    If the place was over run with soldiers of any counrty or force you wouldn't have a chance. Tuck tale and run method works better. Gives you an opportunity to regroup, observe and plan a strike opposed to them just showing up in large numbers and trying to mow them down with your 10k rounds of stored ammo. You might get a few of them but they will get you. AGL is going the safer more realistic route setting up caches that he could get to in fair order and use. I'm more worried about the blue helmets than any other force showing up on my door step and think I would be best to run and hide and pick them off in smaller more managable groups, not that I have thought about this stuff before!
    Use jelly filled donuts for bait on the "blue hats" - then its easy pickens...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast