Thread: Bullet Puller for .500SW

Default Bullet Puller for .500SW

I have been reading threads all over and I'm more tilted towards to collet puller. It would have been rest if the Hornady one has a collet for the .50 cal but they don't so I'm left with a the RCBS one.

Has anyone used the RCBS Collet Puller for their .500SW cartridges? Did it work well?

PS: I know some of you are very keen on the inertia puller but I don't want to wake up the bears or the neighbors (same species).

Thanks!

RCBS Collet puller has worked fine for me with the S&W 500.

They (collets) are not intended for lead bullets but I have used them for many calibers and depending on the nose shape and seating depth they may or may not work. You may end up aggravating the bears if they are lead, I have a chunk of mud flap rubber down on the concrete basement floor that is quiet and 3 whacks does it . . . never whack it right on the concrete without the rubber though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, Andy. It's also less expensive.

Whats wrong with whacking them on concrete or for that matter a piece of rail road track? I have been using one or the other with mine for 20 some years or more. Well, unless your concerned about the bears.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Whats wrong with whacking them on concrete or for that matter a piece of rail road track? I have been using one or the other with mine for 20 some years or more. Well, unless your concerned about the bears.
    They brake on me and I got ta ask RCBS to send a free new one. I busted one on my anvil and another on concrete without the rubber. They last about forever for me hitting something with a tiny amount of give like wood or my 1/4" of mud flap over concrete but only 50 rounds or so on anvils and concrete. I do the rubber on concrete mostly because I got a stem wall right at my bench but it is fairly quiet that way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Aha! There is a trick to keep them from breaking or bending the handle if you have one with the aluminum handle. Don't hold it like a hammer or use it like you are driving nails. You hold it with just the thumb and fore finger and swing it very fast. When it hits it not only has the speed but also can rebound almost totally free. This keeps the handle from breaking/bending and helps pull bullets better as the rapid reversal of the head helps add pulling power. I have the RCBS all plastic one and have wore out several of the collets without breaking the puller. The large heavy bullets pull very easy. It's those 40gr 22cal bullets that can be tough to pull. It does make some noise on the concrete floor though.

Thatís the way I do it too, handle only held at the very end by thumb and index finger. Never heard of bending the handle, thatís a hunk of hex drive-shaft and some tough stuff. The concrete isnít as fast to kill them as my 162 pound anvil, one hit on the anvil will pull a military crimped 30-06 because it has so much rebound but the tool donít last long at all. It may never be an issue for most guys but when I figured all this out years ago I was dismantling a couple thousand WWII 30-06 and was too poor to buy a puller for the press.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona