Thread: Kasilof Accessibility & Camping

Default Kasilof Accessibility & Camping

Is the Kasilof easily accessible with a 2 wheel drive car? Any nearby tent camping, stores for ice, etc? Have been to the Kenai once and it was a zoo. Anyone in favor of the Kasilof? Thanks for any advice.

Either side you can get to with a two wheel drive, you will just have to walk a little ways. I would not drive out on the beach roads without 4 wheel drive. I think you can get closer to the action wihout to much trouble on the north side. Most people just camp on the beach, if that is not for you, then there are a couple camp grounds off North Coho you will pass on your way in. There is at least one gas station in Kasilof where you should be able to get ice.

Assuming you will not have a wheeler with you, expect to walk some from north or south side camping. If the sand is wet, you can drive in 2 wheel drive without a problem (just don't stop facing uphill unless you have rear wheel drive, then just go in reverse and do a reverse U turn). Or air down to widen your foot print. If you're really worried, pick up two 18" wide strips of carpet the length of your vehicle and have them rolled up in the back of your vehicle. When you get stuck, jam them under the wheels to get your moment up. Or buy a 4x4

North side has some pull outs to camp in on the way to the beach. Once you hit the beach, you'll see the roped off areas to both sides of the road and people camped in front of you in the shape of a key hole. It's a bit muddy on the north side and easily crowded so finding real estate may be difficult. If you bring one in, have a Kenai keeper with you as the bank is a bit steeper than the south side.

South side as soon as you see the porta potties, you will see people camped out EVERYWHERE. After you pass the porta potties, hang a right and it'll take you onto a sandy road along the guard rail (there are 2 roads that merge here but run parallel) and you can park and camp on the grassy area on the side of the road. There are other roads but stay on one of the two main drags. If you stay on the sandy road, the road curves to the right again and you can pull off and camp down on the beach near the grass on the left. If you continue forward along the guard rail, you will end up at the beach area where most people are camped out (it'll look like vendors row). Camp out along the guard rail or in the center. If you are worried about getting stuck, drive from the high side(near guard rail) and then go down hill and stay on the edge of the gravel to loop back around. If you go from the beach up to the guard rail, you will most likely get stuck. I spent more time helping people get unstuck last year than dip netting and it wasn't fun. Particularly the 3500 that decided to bury itself.

The place gets busy this time of year but you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to camp. I have seen lots of people getting stuck in the sand down there. I can't wait until next month and I'll be down there myself hopefully.

Thanks for all the great info... particularly the details & warnings to avoid getting stuck. Lets hope for lots of net seeking fish!