Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: running the su.

  1. #1
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Question running the su.

    I have a 14' jon that I have owned for years and ran on rivers, just not in south central. I just replaced my motor with a surface drive mud motor and have clocked the boat at 23mph. I am wondering if that is enough speed to travel upstream in the big su and rivers flowing into it.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  2. #2
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    589

    Default

    That is plenty fast enough. The su run about 6 to 8 mph.
    Tony

  3. #3
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Should be fine.

  4. #4
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Thanks guys

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Your biggest concern will be the wakes from the big inboards swamping you

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Your biggest concern will be the wakes from the big inboards swamping you
    + 1000! Even in my 17' wooly ak some of these guys make me nervous! I only go about 5 mph faster than your boat and get around alright.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    + 1000! Even in my 17' wooly ak some of these guys make me nervous! I only go about 5 mph faster than your boat and get around alright.
    Try being loaded down with fuel or what have you frieghting on the river. These guys will go on step right next to you and cut in front of you! The other day I was helping Larry Heater pull a boat off a sand bar and Larry had his red strobe light on top of his cab a flashing and 53 different nitwits came thru onstep righ thru the whole mess. Try seeing how fast you stop when your bow catches a tow rope! Stupidity is alive and well on The Big Su!

  8. #8
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    perfect! Guess I'm going to have to experience this. not headed as far as where your at mike. hope to do that soon thought!
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  9. #9
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Not all guys in inboards are butt heads!!! There are plenty that have no clue and should never be behind the wheel of one though. I watch my back around a lot of other inboards because they don't know what there doing and there straight up dangerous. I might come see ya this hitch of Alexander. Boats in pieces getting the impeller rebuilt but should be ready to go pretty quick

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    perfect! Guess I'm going to have to experience this. not headed as far as where your at mike. hope to do that soon thought!
    Congrats on that new Surface Drive. I have a feeling you're going to get bold, and won't have many folks around yah this season.

  11. #11
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    lol I may. I was looking up engine performance mods last week...i dont know if Id ACTUALLY do it...but its crossed my mind...after seeing that baker racing motor...6 horse and 25 mph...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Not all guys in inboards are butt heads!!! There are plenty that have no clue and should never be behind the wheel of one though. I watch my back around a lot of other inboards because they don't know what there doing and there straight up dangerous. I might come see ya this hitch of Alexander. Boats in pieces getting the impeller rebuilt but should be ready to go pretty quick
    Rum, more Rum!

  13. #13
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    My father in law runs a 16 foot with a 27 horse prodrive and has no problems
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    perfect! Guess I'm going to have to experience this. not headed as far as where your at mike. hope to do that soon thought!
    Lets see a picture of the finished product?

  15. #15
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •