Thread: Early June Kenai Peninsula River Fishing?

Default Early June Kenai Peninsula River Fishing?

I have been to Alaska several times fishing in July and August. I am used to fishing for reds out of the Russian River Camp Ground, and silvers on the "Deshka" up past Wasilla I believe. I usually fish the river banks and do one guided trip either on salt water or a river.

I think I fished on a river called Little and Big Willow also. I had good luck there also later in ther summer one year.

This year, due to an airline deal, I really need to come up the second week of June. I have never been up that early.

Can anyone tell me what kind of river fishing on the Kenai or north of Wasilla I can expect that time of year?

Guided River for Kings?

Dan from Minnesota

Default Kenai Fishing in June

Early June is great for saltwater kings and halibut out of Ninilchik, Anchor Point or Homer.

The Kenai and Kasilof both will have kings, the Kasilof will be approaching the first run peak.

Some of the lower peninsula rivers/streams will have kings running, but take a close look at the regulations for open dates (weekends usually closing mid June).

The early Russian Reds will be starting, but likely not in fishable numbers on the Kenai, and the Russian doesn't open until the 12th I believe. There are almost always fish caught during the opener of the Russian.

Stillwater fishing will be great in area lakes.

Hope that helps.

good days for kasilof and kenai kings.
    Last edited by markw3; 04-12-2007 at 08:57. Reason: accident

Eagle River/ Juneau

Opening day is one of the best days for bow fishing on the russian
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.