Thread: The BRF 500 and S&W 500 hit the range

Default The BRF 500 and S&W 500 hit the range

Hit the range today with both the 500's.

First up was the BFR. Very accurate, one group was a one holer at 25 yards (5 shots). But now I understand why some of you guys recommend it make a trip to Jack for a grip modification. The grip seems to be to "short" and needs to be about 3/8ths of an inch longer. Another observation is the trigger guard needs some work as well. The edges are to sharp and need to be rounded. My trigger finger wore a bandaid after a nice cut. The load wasnt that stiff but it still barked pretty good. 31 grains 296 and 370 grain Cast Performance. Front sight was difficult to see, just didnt appear to be very sharp. Good revolver for the money but will need to spend another $400 or so for the grip and trigger guard modifications to make it a good hunter. But then it will cost more than a S&W, go figure. Need to break out the chronograph and measure some loads for this as well as the 475 Linebaugh FA that is due to be finished in about a month. A side by side comparison will then tell me if I should go forward with the modifications. It wore the micarta grips for todays session. Resting both arms on a blanket I managed to hit a couple of orange clay pigeons at 110 yards. The one's I missed would of still resulted in a dead deer. The 5th round was starting to break the crimp. Have a S&W 500 Redding profile crimp die but it needs to be shortened before it will work with the JRH. Need to get the Roto zip and a cutting wheel out and see if I can shorten it.

S&W 4 inch 500. First time I shot this since removing the factory comp and replacing it with the solid one. The muzzle concussion was virtually gone as well the loud boom. Now it is a sharp crack. Did not wear ear plugs under the muffs and the blast did not bother me in the least. But my son said it was louder than before. Thumbs up for the new comp, highly recommend it. Load was 42 grains of 296 with the same 370 grain bullet (maybe 1,700 fps). Recoil seemed to be very similar to the BFR. The S&W was easier to hold onto mainly because of the rubber grips and the grip surface was larger. They really are apples and oranges when it comes to S/A vs D/A.

Think the 370's are to light for both calibers and once they are used up will concentrate on bullets weighing 400-440. Need to start taking the chrono with me as I don't think I would be accomplishing anything to go above 1,300 fps with the heavier bullets. Just for grins going to put the rubber grips on the BFR and see if it makes any difference before going off for the grip mods.

My thought is the S&W still makes a better revolver to carry for griz protection but the BFR would be better as a hunter because it is either more accurate or easier to shoot more accurately due to the longer barrel and sight radius. Your opinion may be different
    Next up is to install a piece of stainless tubing over the protruding comp on the 6.5 inch S&W 500 and see what happens. Could be the best of both worlds and end up being the best for hunting, but obviously not a good choice to carry for protection.

Your impressions of both mirrors mine when Ive had chances to play with them. S&W 500 better made but not the most accurate thing, good enough but not the accuracy I had expected from it. BFR 500 quite accurate but punishing to shoot and not that well finished out at all.

What is the length of the BFRs cylinder and the max COL for it? Also do you know the twist rate BFR used, Im thinking that may be the accuracy difference.

The stainless steel comp cover is a good idea and I could make you one if you want . . . Im thinking maybe a set screw (lower threads removed) into one of the ports to lock it on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy. Already have some stainless tubing that is the right size, just need to cut it to length and press onto the comp. Your idea of a set screw is a good one and might try that as well.

Wouldnt call the BFR not well finished as it is put together very well. The edge of the trigger guard just needs the sharp corners rounded off. Trigger guard is pretty massive as far as thickness. I could get the dremel out to change the angles from sharp to round but don't think I could do as good a job as someone who does it for a living.
    Not sure about the max COL, cylinder length is approximately 1.85 inches.

Snowwolfe, Grizzly Ammo used my 500 JRH (BFR) to develop their line of factory ammo. Mike told me that it was the first time that he had shot a BFR and that it was the most accurate revolver that he had ever fired and that includes several FA's. I am not a fan of of the grip angle on the BFR's and I am going to send mine to Jack Huntington for his grip modification, which includes a set of custom grips. Once Jack Knows the size of your hand the grips will be made TO FIT YOUR HAND PERFECTLY. The correct size grips that fits your hand correctly goes a very long way in taming recoil. I also do not like the aluminum front sight for the very reason that you stated and I will change mine to an all steel one with a nitrate finish

jwp,

I think I wasted $160 to have the factory install the micarta grips because the stock frame with the micarta's just doesnt feel right. Even without the heavy recoil of the 500 JRH the revolver just does not seem to point correctly. It is like my hand is being forced to go to the top of the grip. If the rubber grips don't pan out this BFR will make the trips to Jacks for the grip mod. Guess a front sight change wil be needed as well.

Still, sweet trigger, super accurate with the only load tried, and reasonably priced for a 500. Even with Jack's grip mod and some smoothing out of the trigger guard and a new front sight total investment should not exceed $1,400.
    Many things can be forgiven if the accuracy is there, and she is accurate.

Good post, thanx. Please keep us updated?
    Steve

Snowwolfe:
    Hitting clay pigeons at 110 yards is awesome with an open sigthed handgun! I was wondering if the front blade sights of the two revolver's are different in size (width). The reason I ask is that the one on my 4" .500 covers about 6" at 50 yards at my arm length. I have seen some bead-type sights on Super Redhawks that would certainly make it easier for longer range, but just intgerested in what you are using.
    Thanks,
    BEE

Tried the bead style front sights before and they have + and -'s. They seem to be pretty good for picking up the sights fast at short range targets but lack the definition to wring out the best accuracy at longer ranges. Normally they are mated to a semi v rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Tried the bead style front sights before and they have + and -'s. They seem to be pretty good for picking up the sights fast at short range targets but lack the definition to wring out the best accuracy at longer ranges. Normally they are mated to a semi v rear sight.

Agreed. I have tried them and found that I can not shoot them as accurately either

Put the rubber grips on the BFR. Accuracy will be better with no pain. I never figured how a trigger finger can be cut.
    Your accuracy with open sights has left me at my age but I put a scope on my .500 JRH before I bought my Ultra Dot for hunting. I laid 5 shotgun shells on the 50 yard rail and shot every one in the base with 5 shots. I could not find 2 in the weeds.
    With the Ultra Dot, it has done less then 1" at 100 yards.
    NO modifications need done to the BFR grip, just go back to the rubber. Pretty, slippery and the wrong feel does not make a revolver shoot.

Thank you for the input. Y'all are doing some great shooting.

Hit the range today with both the 500's.
    [...]
    S&W 4 inch 500. First time I shot this since removing the factory comp and replacing it with the solid one. The muzzle concussion was virtually gone as well the loud boom. Now it is a sharp crack. Did not wear ear plugs under the muffs and the blast did not bother me in the least.

[...]
    How/where did you get the solid replacement for the comp?