Thread: Sea Lions and Kayak colors

Default Sea Lions and Kayak colors

So looking into getting a kayak for fishing. Will probably utilize it some for local lakes for tout. But main focus will be salmon, halibut and Rockfish out of Valdez and whittier.

I have had two different people tell me that Sea Lions will harass you allot. More in a yellow kayak versus any other color.

Anyone have experience with this that can confirm or state that it is hawgwash?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Guy on Crgs List had a Kayak painted like a Killer Whale said Sea Lions left him alone they are scarry enough in a skiff let alone a Kayak

Yeah, until it's killer whale mating season!

Do not know about color but I have had rockfish & salmon stolen from my line by sea lions, if you are in a kayak when that happens; you are probably going to get bumped. Kayaks are probably in too close to the rocks but last year for the first time while trolling for kings I picked up a pod of porpoise waiting for me to get a hook up. Been out in the salt for the last 13 years and it is my observation that there are a lot more marine mammals out there, with the exception of killer whales.

never bothered my teal colored sit on top, and they were close many times. Yellow is so ugly, why would you want it anyway? Yep, get the yellow one and there will be one less ugly thing on this beautiful earth

Well, you could look at it this way,..when you get snatched off the top of a Yellow one,...
    it'll likely be spotted easily from the air,...or other searchers
    so your next of kin, will get a chance to hear about it, supposedly helps with, "closure,..."

if you get a Teal one like Ron's,...it'll just be a mystery,...
    cause they'll never find that boat, right ? Teal on Ocean,....(which could be cool too)

Hope that's not an "non-PC," line of humor,...

I have, (maybe), been harassed once or twice, (well more like just more interest than usual), never nuzzled or anything,...
    with a White Hull Kayak, with Dark Blue top, than any of the others I've had since
    here's a pic,...but it wasn't threatening, not something you'd let steer your decision on a boat at all

and that was years ago, and Kodiak area...maybe things are changing up there
    but my boys and I cruise right by a pretty serious Sealion Haulout, with these two boats nowadays
    and they don't bother us at all

I'd probably call that, "a bit of Dramatic Imagination,..."
    and not worry, get what you want to paddle with,....

and oh, yeah,...what you think you might want to leave as your memory,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just to be clear...I meant one less ugly yellow thing, the kayak, not you, Shandar, leaving this earth

I was always more afraid of what a sea lion, or a shark, would do if I fell in from my SOT kayak, as I was wearing an all black wetsuit and looked like a seal in the water. I think that would be a bigger concern than the color of the kayak, I suggest one with wild colors, except no yellow of course!

Think about it, bananas are yellow right? and today I just learned that to catch a yellow 'gator is extremely bad luck too, and that proved out on "Swamp People"

I've had a big one follow me while fishing in Echo Cove (Out The Road) but did not get too close after I took my paddle and blasted a couple of whacks on the water's surface. We were fishing, been catching and releasing a lot but hadn't kept anything as of yet. Oh I forgot that day were out in orange WS kayaks (sit atop)