Thread: 20a wolverine

Default 20a wolverine

What are the chances I will see a wolverine in 20a? It is under predator control and I can shoot a wolf with no permit - I would love to get a wolverine but the tag is $175.

My guess is the close proximity to Fairbanks means a lot of trapping and not many wolverines?

It sounds like this will be the one and only time you will be hunting in Alaska. If you do see a wolverine and you do not have a tag you will regret it the rest of your life. You want your Alaska trip be a trip of a life time don't rune it by not having a tag.

I have walked alotta miles in 20A. I have never seen a wolverine. Although, they are great at not being seen!
    20A is large, and alotta of different terrain. I have primarily hunter the higher country after moose. Maybe the they are more prominent around the lower country. I am not sure but that's alot of $$$ for a low chance of success in my opinion.
    I hope you prove me wrong and dont come on here telling us they are all over the place!
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    You just never know, I have seen Wolverine on 13 different occasions in Alaska (not 20a exclusively) which is 13 times more then most residents ever will. You never know when it's going to happen but the chances are slim.
    Don: I agree with whitepalm. Even if you had an excellent chance of seeing a wolverine in this area; when those odds are compared to the odds of seeing a wolverine at another location (other than a zoo); the excellent odds might be only be 1 in 10,000. Since I merely guessed a number, for your situation, what would the odds need to be to warrant buying of the tag.

I had a wolverine walk within 20' of me during last years sheep hunt. Very cool, very scary and very, very unusual. Wolverine wasn't open or I'd have rugged him on the spot. I've seen them in Unit 20A, 20D, and 13.... not with enough regularity that I'd pay $175 for a tag since I spend hundreds of hours a year hunting and hiking those units and I'll average a sighting every couple of years.

Of the half dozen times in 13 years I've been within shooting distance of one though, I regard each as an unexpected fluke. Being able to capitalize on a wolverine tag during a 2 week hunt is probably Vegas style odds....I'd save my money.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

What do you mean 20A is under pred control? Who told you that? There is no pred control in 20A. Wolf, wolverine or other... while you do not need a permit to hunt either, you will need a tag, on top of your bou tag (which you should fill)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

WHITEPALM, absolutly stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing.

you never know where they will pop up. heck, i saw one right here in anchorage a few years ago. no joke, up on the hillside loping down the road.

the CHANCES of seeing & getting a shot at a legal wolverine are probably as good in 20A as anywhere.
    The only problem is that the chance of seeing and getting a shot at a legal wolverine ANYWHERE are slim.

Default Poor fur quality

This wolverine was taken caribou hunting on the 10th of September while caribou hunting in 20D it is almost a shame to harvest one before they are prime. I did have her rugged but it is not near as nice as ones taken in November.

This one was taken in early November while hunting and it still isn't as nice as a prime winter one.

This one was trapped in January and is when you want to get them.

Thanks guys I talked with a friend who lives in Fairbanks and trapped there for 20 years hard and took 2 I think? Would be neat but then again just seeing one would be neat, and as mentione seems a shame to take one before prime - what a difference!

I believe I read in regs 20a was under wolf control and I did not need a tag to shoot a wolf? I will confirm obviosly but I believe I read that a few months ago.

agree with Bob, winter wolverine are totatlly different critter than fall. but if you only see one in your life and its in the fall, you won't know any different.
    mid sept wolverine

Jan...

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'll just state the obvious:

You don't live in Alaska.
    You have to be in Alaska to shoot an Alaskan Wolverine.
    You need to possess a wolverine tag to legally take a wolverine.
    Your going to be on a caribou hunt during the fall caribou season in 20A.
    Your not (I assume) going to be in Alaska, hunting, during the winter.
    The good bou hunting country in 20A is also as good of wolverine habitat as anywhere in Alaska.

The 175 bucks for the tag is about as good of an investment as your going to get to harvest a wolverine in Alaska. The only better chance you could get would be to go on member BRNBRs guided trapping trips in the winter. Likely that is more money than 175 bucks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Personally, I'd say, if you're the kind of person who'd buy $175 worth of Lotto tickets in your home state, go ahead and spend the money on a wolverine tag.

Otherwise, take that $175 and spend it on a piece of gear, buy your wife a nice gift to thank her for letting you come to Alaska ( ), or invite all of us AOD'ers to meet you for a beer, your treat!!

Seriously though, understand that the odds of seeing one on a single hunting trip are so slim as to be near zero. Stranger things have happened though, look at TBob's photos!! I'll bet he spends a heck of ALOT of time in the field!!

Default Just got the rug back

It just so happens that I just got the 09 wolverine rug back, although it's kind of flat she looks pretty because of her great colors. I really like the freckles on her neck it's not real common. She would have been a beauty in mid winter.

Here is the lifesize of the other that I show off on here often.

lol whitepalm its all part of managment!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212