Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for kenai king salmon fishermen!

Default Sad day for kenai king salmon fishermen!

Thanks for posting. It is indeed a sad day.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Yes sad day but if they close one river they needed to close them all as they have just done. Hope this will help for the future!
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

It says sportfishing for any species, so not even halibut. Interesting, luckily I prefer to go south anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Thanks for posting. It is indeed a sad day.

I actually see it as a good day. Finally someone is doing something instead of the usual pandering to special interests. Kings are over fished both commercially (intentional or not) and recreationally. Common sense tells us that. The commercial side harvests big numbers and the recreational side harvests those kings most likely to spawn. It makes sense to work on both sides of the equation to improve the fishery. Time to do our part.

Its a sad day if you had booked a trip of a lifetime to Alaska to fish for kings this summer, but if you like me you see it as a positive. I remember the days of trolling off Deep Creek and catching 50-60 lb fish on a regular basis. I remember limiting out (2 each a day) a few times as a young boy. Quite a few of my fondest childhood memories are of trolling for kings along the beach and now maybe if they extend this closure to the commercial set netters North of Ninilchik there might be some hope of seeing those days again, but I am not holding my breath.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Dang that really hurts us kayakers that want to fish halibut. Closing it to all species is kinda harsh. I don't see me catching a king with a herring sitting in the bottom or jigging a curly tail. Guess there went my weekend plans

that's only ninilchick to bluff point, still could fish the near bluffs, and i know a kayaker that has been regularly getting nice fish off coal point, 25-30 lbs a couple times a week.
    the 59.40' line is north of where most folks fish "the kelp" anyway....
    our old bio once said that she was an 'advocate for the sportsman".... bout time our fisheries were managed by an "advocate for the resource", cause it ain't just about us right now.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    maybe if they extend this closure to the commercial set netters North of Ninilchik there might be some hope of seeing those days again, but I am not holding my breath.
    and shut down the tractor launches and all the charters that fish salmon in the salt north of the anchor river.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The other thing is you can still fish for kings in the rivers? ! But is closed for all species in the salt?!

Why not just make it Catch and release in the salt too then and let us bottom fish?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    The other thing is you can still fish for kings in the rivers? ! But is closed for all species in the salt?!

Why not just make it Catch and release in the salt too then and let us bottom fish?
    You can still fish Deep Creek and Ninilchik - No Bait, Single hook lure
    Kasilof - No wild fish
    Kenai - No Bait, gotta be under 20 or over 55.

I think that if there were kings caught, it would be hard to prove where exactly the fish was caught, even though you must write it down on the back of your license. I'm sure the troopers are going to have fun patroling "the line" especially if you launch in Anchor Point, go to Pogi, get several kings and go back to Anchor Point to get back on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Dang that really hurts us kayakers that want to fish halibut. Closing it to all species is kinda harsh. I don't see me catching a king with a herring sitting in the bottom or jigging a curly tail. Guess there went my weekend plans
    Just for your information. years ago I took a couple friends to deep Creek to troll Kings. We stopped at the Ninilchik general store for bait. A King Salmon derby was on. I could not talk my friend in buying the $5.00 derby ticket. At high slack we went out about a 1/4 mile off this marker I had been told we could load up on chicken Halibut. The bite was on. well, my friend lands a 55 pound King on a circle hook off the bottom. he would have won the derby as I remember the winning fish was under 45 pounds.
    Three years ago trolling Kings off Whiskey Gulch beach I landed a 6' long Halibut that was tail hooked. I was in a friends boat and using a downrigger. I reeled up to check my Herring and asked how deep the water was. he replied 27'. I decided 13' might work. I no sooner got the rod tightened up that "bang " it goes off. Hey chase it I'm losing line fast. Sixty five minutes later I had it along side Best guess was close to 200 pounds. First off or maybe not in any particular order, we already had fished Halibut and had a limit in the boat. Then, a big breeding female, then tail hooked all 3 reasons we released it.
    So, to summarize, when fishing the weirdest things will happen .

Still a Sad Day, Our lower Peninsula fisheries is one of the major reasons I came to the area, sure isn't the low cost of living. I am glad to see good conservative management of the resource, just bothered it has gotten to this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    You can still fish Deep Creek and Ninilchik - No Bait, Single hook lure
    Kasilof - No wild fish
    Kenai - No Bait, gotta be under 20 or over 55.

I think that if there were kings caught, it would be hard to prove where exactly the fish was caught, even though you must write it down on the back of your license. I'm sure the troopers are going to have fun patroling "the line" especially if you launch in Anchor Point, go to Pogi, get several kings and go back to Anchor Point to get back on the trailer.
    Not so, Waldo...........(see regs) Deep Crk is closed for kings as is Ninilchik. Ninny scheduled to open for hatchery fish on july 1. We'll see if that stays in place. Anchor R closed.(per EO) ............As for telling where a caught king came from... they say they can tell with the scales off the fish. I had a king in the cooler I got from Dp Crk several years ago on opening nite and drove to Starisky pull off to get away from the crowd and take a nap. A very rude F&G knocked on the back of the truck as the wife and I dozed to wake us up. He insisted on checking my cooler which I allowed. When he saw the king there he threatened me with a ticket for fishing Stariski. Told him I got it from dp crk and after reading us the riot act I finally told him to take a hike (politely, of course) and he did. But he did say they could sample a scale and tell what watershed it was from. I told him, go ahead, waste your money.
    This new EO will put a damper on my beach fishing, tho.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

ROLAND.............U WROTE........."Just for your information. years ago I took a couple friends to deep Creek to troll Kings. We stopped at the Ninilchik general store for bait. A King Salmon derby was on. I could not talk my friend in buying the $5.00 derby ticket. At high slack we went out about a 1/4 mile off this marker I had been told we could load up on chicken Halibut. The bite was on. well, my friend lands a 55 pound King on a circle hook off the bottom. he would have won the derby as I remember the winning fish was under 45 pounds.
    Three years ago trolling Kings off Whiskey Gulch beach I landed a 6' long Halibut that was tail hooked. I was in a friends boat and using a downrigger. I reeled up to check my Herring and asked how deep the water was. he replied 27'. I decided 13' might work. I no sooner got the rod tightened up that "bang " it goes off. Hey chase it I'm losing line fast. Sixty five minutes later I had it along side Best guess was close to 200 pounds. First off or maybe not in any particular order, we already had fished Halibut and had a limit in the boat. Then, a big breeding female, then tail hooked all 3 reasons we released it.
    So, to summarize, when fishing the weirdest things will happen . "

Just curious,,,,,,,,,,when u said 'yrs ago'.... Can u tell me what yr (approx) that was? My bet was a while back. That kind just dont happen no more. (although, yeah, I agree-wierd stuff does happen). I think they could of left open the beach (and salt) for catch and release only for kings thereby allowing for halibut near shore. I know theres a half dozen drift boat fishers who row off shore for their butts that are saying "awe shipt" when hearing of the new EO. I will say, this IS 'THE' worst king yr I've seen down here .....AND.......... There had BETTER be some OTHER MEASURES taken for the other users and abusers of the king fishery. To have to punish the last in the line of users of the fishery shows how the managers have mismanaged the fishery. Its time to get serious fish managers...if you're listening.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    and shut down the tractor launches and all the charters that fish salmon in the salt north of the anchor river.
    might as welll shut the Homer harbor down too, cause anyone could come up north and fish.

Cod, as to what Roland was sayin' it still happens, we have gotten many big hali trolling, and several this year. As well as catching spawner kings up to 8 miles off shore within the last two years.

So what are they doing to the commercial guys? They take in thousands and thousands, the regular sportsman that gets one or two doesn't do anything to the numbers compared to the guys with giant trolling nets.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Aren't halibut federal? Can the state include them in the sportfishing EO's? Just asking... not affecting me fortunately, but curious.

Guess I'll be trolling by Poggi next week. I did measure a spot that I have hooked a few kings along the bluffs, and it's 2.8miles offshore. Whew!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    So what are they doing to the commercial guys? They take in thousands and thousands, the regular sportsman that gets one or two doesn't do anything to the numbers compared to the guys with giant trolling nets.

The fish we rec anglers take are the fish mostly likely to spawn and continue the run. So every fish we take can have a HUGE effect on the fishery.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has the percentage of kings who leave freshwater and actually make it back to their spawning waters.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    The setnets up north near the mouths of the Kenai and Kasilof kill king salmon all year long. Drift netters in the inlet catch kings but not anything like the setnets. I don't know how to decide who is more important, but the commercial fishery in the Inlet has to do more to protect these kings. Simply shutting down on specific dates to allow fish to move is silly. Not saying sport is more important than commercial, just saying I want us all to catch kings in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast