Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EO's come raining down on Cook Inlet sports

Default EO's come raining down on Cook Inlet sports

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

And so it begins...
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

It's very sad to see the once amazing runs of Kings just about decimated.

i wonder who is kidding who with the C&R thing. I cant see how a fish that has been caught can have the strength to spawn. I may well be wrong but for sure it is not helping them

Finally!!!
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

yes its about time!!! they should close it for few yrs. im one of the angry ones about kings getting slaughter like that. thank god its about time!!!!

It's good that the state took the correct route instead of catering to the tourist and scared to loose there money. If we don't get our fisheries in check soon we wont have one to worry about.

Glad to hear the positive support for ADFG here, I hope it gets back to them!

I say, drop by F&G and give them an applause. Next step, complete closure. Hopefully before next wednesday.

It IS a bandaid however it's on the wrong wound!!!

It's an attempt to fix a unfixable problem with out changes implemented and actions being taken. It has gone on for years and has finally been pushed over an edge. I hope someday people see it for what it is. Day closures, hour closures cr restrictions or flat out closing it all together may very well be what needs to happen, but it does NOT address our problem!!!! We are all familiar with how our numbers work when the netters span river mouths and we stand wondering how any fish get through. Yet we don't address those catching and dumping 10s of thousands of fish at a time that have an immediate impact on a rivers return, along with long term recovery problems. So why we ponder the great salmon runs of "yesteryear"...... Those nets will continue to polish off our hopes of recovery in the any foreseeable future!

Kill a massive amount of ducks in Texas and than wonder why u have none in Canada. Yet we are going to close a minority group in northern mn so we all can feel good about doing 'something'. While in the mean time those hammering away are making millions off the same ducks While they are in transiet somewhere else. It's not a direct correlation to the massive by catch of kings happening in another fishery that needs a proactive immediate and drastic, not passive implementation applied.

Along with its impact on critical king numbers in rivers elsewhere deemed unfishable to very unstable or worse. Fish you or I will never find on our riverbanks.destined to another states once famed king run of yesteryear...... Yet they keep on dissappearing......hmmmmm

50,000 by catch of Kings from the Pollock fishery is inexcusable.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    50,000 by catch of Kings from the Pollock fishery is inexcusable.....

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

ican go without kings as long as i know its for a good cause. the idea is to let them populate more b4 reopening. plus the most impact are from the commercial fisheries. they do the most damage!! more guys like us should attend those meetings n put in our 2 cents.

Any word on if there is going to be any closing on the Deshka??
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

So what is the general consensus? Is F&G going only to shut down the 1st run on Kenai & Kasliof and open it up on the 2nd? Or do they take it full swing for the rest of the year? If I remember correctly, they never did allow bait on the 2nd run, or if they did it was only a short time.

The second run is treated completely separate. We always open July 1 with bait on the Kenai. Upstream bait closures at Slikok Creek, and C/R upstream from there were imposed to protect early run fish. I wouldn't mind starting July w/o bait, but that would have to be a board of fish decision.

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    The second run is treated completely separate. We always open July 1 with bait on the Kenai. Upstream bait closures at Slikok Creek, and C/R upstream from there were imposed to protect early run fish. I wouldn't mind starting July w/o bait, but that would have to be a board of fish decision.
    I also agree that I wouldn't mind starting the late-run Kenai king fishery with out bait. As for needing the BOF's permission to do that I disagree....the ADFG can take bait away before the late-run if they think it's waranted by Emergency Order. I think they should this year.....this is shaping up to be very bad. Low numbers of kings combined with very high numbers of sockeyes does not bode well for the Kenai given the east-side set-netters will be utilized more to control escapement of Kenai sockeye. I say let the drift fleet scoop up as many sockeye as they can while not catching kings.....we're in a bad period of king salmon production and need to get as many kings on the beds as possible. Restrict both inriver users off the bat as well as the primary king harveters commercially, the east-side set-netters.

Default Deshka joins the EO parade....

The sustainable escapement goal (SEG) for king salmon in the Deshka River is 13,000 to 28,000 fish, as
    measured at the weir located at River Mile seven. On average, approximately 50 percent of the escapement
    has passed the weir by June 18 or approximately 15,000 king salmon. As of June 17, 4,776 king salmon have
    passed the weir. The projected escapement based upon average and late-run timing models ranges from
    11,200 to 16,130 fish. At this time, the department is unable to predict with certainty that the Deshka River
    king salmon escapement will attain the SEG. Therefore, it is warranted to slow the harvest of fish by
    prohibiting the use of bait, limiting sport fishing gear to one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure only, and
    prohibiting sport fishing for king salmon upstream of the weir
    . Further restrictions may be forthcoming if weir
    counts do not improve and projections of escapement remain below the SEG.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...0no%20bait.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default reply to 4merguide

Where did that figure of 50,000 Chinooks in the Pollock fisheries came? I looked here..
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/2012/car120...i_with_cdq.pdf

and see a total of 7773 Chinook.

In the Gulf of Alaska I looked here….
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/2012/car120_psc_goa.pdf

and see 5522 chinook. (and that’s all trawl for all species as I didn’t see it split out on the table, but it likely it is somewhere.) Maybe you were confusing the overall quotas when you implied overall catch.

The reality is that those fish are not the culprit here. Bycatch in regards to the Pollock fisheries is being addressed. To bring it into this discussion appears to be a smokescreen. It could be someone just being wrong, so I thought I’d throw some facts out there. Almost everyone would agree that in river mortality has the greatest impact on actual breeding success on that actual river. Other things impact things as well, like freshwater smolt mortality, and the elephant in the room, ocean survivability. However, killing any in river fish for whatever reason has a clear negative impact on that rivers Chinook success. It’s also one that is entirely successful in its outcome in allowing every returning fish the chance to breed if actual closures are enacted. I think these closures are a step in the right direction……just like I thought restrictions on the Pollock fishery were. Good work ADF&G. Cheers.

After todays fishing I would not be surprised to see it close on Monday.

You can ask Sheepman, he was there. Bathtub warm and not many fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast