Thread: Line Size for Reds

Default Line Size for Reds

I have never fished reds before, would 20lb braid with a 6.6 medium action spinning rod be good? How about with a 10lb flourocarbon leader.

Thanks for the advise!

Jim

Hi Jim, I think your 20lb braid main line would do just fine, but personally I'd bump that leader up. The water in the Russian and also on the Kenai moves pretty quick, and once those reds get out into that current they take off like a rocket. Having 20-25lb mono is fairly common when trying to land reds there.

As for your rod, medium should be fine for that spinning rod, but 6'6" is a bit short in my opinion. Lots of people flip for reds using 8'6" or 9'0" baitcasting or spinning rods to enhance the length of their flip since you're not actually casting across the river, you're just flipping a fly and weight.

If you're in Anchorage, the guys at the fishing counter at B & J Sporting Goods on Northern Lights and C St. have a ton of knowledge about fishing for reds. They said they were at the Russian for the opener Monday and slayed 'em.

Good luck,

-Ken

That should be fine...

that really depends on what the water conditions are. but typically you should be ok with that setup.

Personally I'd swap out your braided line for a low visiblity mono. Typically I'll run #15 on my main line. I don't like braided line for fishing rivers. The one time I tried dragging braided line along the bottom gravel beds targeting reds it was just an exercise in frustration. I broke off a #30 line about 30 times before I gave up and respooled to mono. I think the abraision resistance of mono line is far better. Also I'm not an experienced flipper and the inevitable tangles I get are just that much worse with braided line.

For the leader I'd bump up to #20 ~ #30. the recent reports from the russian experts are that due to the high flow they are bumping up thier main line to #25, and the leaders to #30.

Reds aren't really biting at the fly so line visiblity isn't a large factor like it would be with Silvers.
    Last edited by Sierra Dragon; 06-13-2012 at 14:41. Reason: add info

The rule I go by is: use heavy enough line where I won't bother the people fishing next to me when I get one.

You don't "fish" for reds you "snag" them. The hook/weight method is just a way to get the weight to drag the hook to the mouth area. So the line weight doesn't matter as much as when you're trying to get a fish to strike your lure. So I tend towards heavier line (I use 20lb mono) so I can horse them in right away and get right back to snagging while causing as little disturbance to those next to me. I also skip any leader as those hooks are cheap and I rarely go thru more than half a dozen each year.

I tend to stay away from braided. With how many times you'll tangle up in lines from other people, braided is a pain to try and untangle.

Location will play a factor but if I were setting up a rig for general flipping, i'd go with 25-30 lb. main line. Don't bother with swivels or leaders, just put enough split shot on your main line to get down and tie the fly directly on the main line. 3' between weights and fly is generally a good starting point, adjust to whatever people are catching on if your not.

As other have said, Kenai reds have lots of current to use against you, i'd go with a rod with some backbone and leverage, an 8'6" ugly stick in medium heavy is great, a 9wt. fly rod is better. Trustworth has some decent Okuma 9wt. fly rods for 36 bucks right now.

The braided line is so thin you will cut your fingers when pulling on a fighting Red. I use 30 lb mono to protect my fingers from cuts. I use 20 or 25 lb leader below a swivel. i use hollow pencil lead above the swivel. I put a plastic bead above the lead to protect the front of the lead from hitting on the rocks and pinching the line till it brakes. Just my way of fishing, works well.

it should be ok but i think your gonna lose more tackle n fish all together. i use 9 ft 7wt st croix fly rod with 35 lb test maxima about 50 ft of mono added to my fly line n 30 lb for the leader. they never get pass the mono. never break unless snagged up on a rock. try using something with alittle more back bone n reach n heavier line. good luck

I have to agree with the others on here. I like 25 or 30lb main line if I'm going to be anywhere thats crowded. I would take a longer rod for sure. Flipping with a 6.5ft rod will be hard. I like a 9ft fly rod.
    Are you going coming up with the group from VA?

i agree with th mass 20-25lb leader would do just fine. the only problem with braid is there is no stretch which tends to focus all the stress on the leader. on my salmon rod i run 25lb maxima all the way havent had any issues while using it up there.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

OMG I spool every reel with 20# or 80#. Caught a 145# Halibut on a Kenai Special, Abu Garcia 6500 & 17# test 2 years ago. Other wise just spool on 100# and yank them is without a fight? Maybe it's just me!

Leave the spinner behind. Take a 9wt, 9'0 fly rod with 9wt weight forward fly line with a 25#, 6' leader. Trust me now or regret it later.