Thread: PWS Silvers or Reds ?

Default PWS Silvers or Reds ?

What runs are coming into PWS last week of June? I know a couple to try and will check the ADFG site on run timing. We are thinking of taking a trip from whittier to camp for a long weekend just before July 4. Thinking of camping somewhere south culross or maybe further south a little bit. Hoping to get into some reds or silvers and chase shrimp and butts.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What runs are coming into PWS last week of June? I know a couple to try and will check the ADFG site on run timing. We are thinking of taking a trip from whittier to camp for a long weekend just before July 4. Thinking of camping somewhere south culross or maybe further south a little bit. Hoping to get into some reds or silvers and chase shrimp and butts.
    I would actually consider heading north towards the College Fiord/Coghill River area. You won't find silvers in PWS in June, but you stand a chance of finding some reds heading for Coghill Lake

You might be able to find some silvers in late June, but you'd have to head out to the S end of Montague. For South Culross plan on mid to late July.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I would actually consider heading north towards the College Fiord/Coghill River area. You won't find silvers in PWS in June, but you stand a chance of finding some reds heading for Coghill Lake
    Any tips on catching Reds in the salt? I'm pretty certain on was sitting on top of a school last weekend near Knight Island but nothing would bite. Tried jigging with spoons and sabiki, and trolling through them. The fish finder was lit up and I saw lots of leapers so I'm pretty sure it was Reds.

Feed 'em lead!
    PWS w Girls June 12 028.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Any tips on catching Reds in the salt? I'm pretty certain on was sitting on top of a school last weekend near Knight Island but nothing would bite. Tried jigging with spoons and sabiki, and trolling through them. The fish finder was lit up and I saw lots of leapers so I'm pretty sure it was Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    That is the only sure fire method I know of hooking a red in the salt.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

When is Main Bay supposed to fire up?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

You won't find silvers in PWS in June,
    I'm not sure why folks think that, for the most part they live somewhere before they head for spawning grounds. Yes I have 20+ years in PWS so sure I know some feeder spots. I have caught Silvers, Kings M-day weekend. & no I do not go more than 35 miles from Whittier. They are in spawn mode for what 30 days? They live out there somewhere for a couple years.