Thread: The Gulkana Report June 13th

Default The Gulkana Report June 13th

The word of the day is High Water!

The river is very high and very tough to fish right now. We have had 3 days of steady rain the the river is bank to bank. Not many people fishing except a few Jet boats. Kings are being landed but it is tough fishing for sure. I was up to Sailors Pit yesterday and the water is almost up to the launch road but has very little junk in the water in the way of sweepers. If you're going to raft the river understand that a PFD is a must as the water is cold and fast! Don't take chances with these conditions guys!

We are just starting to put groups out on the upper sections of the river and the water is high as well. The Paxon-Sourdough section will drop much faster than the lower sections but it still will be a tougher trip than past years at this time. Plan for wet conditions!

Crossing Paxon Lake: Paxon Lake is big and I tell my groups to plan on 2-3 hours to row to the outlet. The lake can be windy in the afternoon and I try to get my groups on the lake in the morning or evening when there is less wind to deal with. I have been on the lake when the wind picks up and it can get scary fast. Stay close to the shore line in case you need to get off and it is easier to row the north/west side that the south/east side. If you run into any one that has an outboard when you up on Paxon don't shy away from offering them a $20 to run you across the lake, well worth the cost!

Take care and keep safe!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals

Just came from the river and it is very high!!

We have not had any rain for 2 days and the water levels should be coming down by the weekend but be prepared for tough fishing this weekend. The Kings are here but they have lots of water to swim in, and this puts them in the drivers seat!

Walt
    Gulkana River Rfat Rentals
    907-259-4290

Thanks Walt I was just looking at the gauge stations coming down nicely by the hour. Hopefully your weather will hold and the river will continue to lower and clear as the weekend progresses.

Tight Lines!

RMM
    BMR

I too have been watching the gauging stations. It is important to remember that the up river areas (Paxon) will drop more quickly than down here at the Richardson Bridge next to my house as the upper reaches drain less sq. miles of country than the areas below the West Fork. I expect that the folks who are floating the Paxon to Sourdough stretch will see clearer water and good Rainbow fishing by Sunday. It will take a few extra days to see the Sourdough to the Rich Bridge section drop and clear up, maybe mid next week?

We are still seeing nice fresh kings being caught but it is tough fishing for sure. Water temps are also cold! Don't under estimate how fast a cold river will zap your strength and ability to swim-PFDs. Lets say it together...PFDs! Dead guys can't tell fishing stories to their kids!

Keep safe and enjoy your time on the river

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290

None of the gauges are dropping yet...those purple lines are computer predicted values for the future. They aren't worth much, never predict the rises and falls right, but just a general trend. example, all of them were predicting the rivers to crest below action stage, but it's still well above on both lower river gauges.

I like how the Gulkana gauges update so rapidly. Anyone know why the Copper R gauges near chitina are so much more finicky/slow to update? Sat transmission?

That is an interesting point and thank you for pointing it out. Good data to know eh.

Default the bottome line is ?

Ok so I must ask, would it be worth the trip out for this weekend to float the lower section or is it just to high & muddy?
    I know it hard to answer but without seeing it is hard to guage. I would like to fish this weekend but don't want to if its not worth the time & gas to get there.
    You can send a p.m if you like

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Ok so I must ask, would it be worth the trip out for this weekend to float the lower section or is it just to high & muddy?
    I know it hard to answer but without seeing it is hard to guage. I would like to fish this weekend but don't want to if its not worth the time & gas to get there.
    A friend sent some out of town family to fish that way today, they ended up going for reds (instead of kings) because of the high water. I'll try and get a report out of her tonight or tommorow. I'm trying to scheme up a trip early next week.

How long does the lower take to float?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

The lower float (sailors pit to the bridge) can be done easily in a half day & that includes fishing. I think if you just wanted to float it you could do it in a couple hours, but obviously you will want to spend at least the same amount fishing. So for a weekend or two trip I would float it twice with the hopes of hitting a different holes, as well as freezing any fish you decide to keep after day one.

No way. Discharge level is just over 7000 cf and average is 2080. That is down from 9000+ on Wednesday but is still crazy high.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

The lower float (sailors pit to the bridge) can be done easily in a half day & that includes fishing. I think if you just wanted to float it you could do it in a couple hours, but obviously you will want to spend at least the same amount fishing. So for a weekend or two trip I would float it twice with the hopes of hitting a different holes, as well as freezing any fish you decide to keep after day one.
    Thanks, marmot. I was actuallu wondering about sourdough down, I think I found my answer on the gulkana raft rental (walt's) website
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    I too have been watching the gauging stations. It is important to remember that the up river areas (Paxon) will drop more quickly than down here at the Richardson Bridge next to my house as the upper reaches drain less sq. miles of country than the areas below the West Fork. I expect that the folks who are floating the Paxon to Sourdough stretch will see clearer water and good Rainbow fishing by Sunday. It will take a few extra days to see the Sourdough to the Rich Bridge section drop and clear up, maybe mid next week?

We are still seeing nice fresh kings being caught but it is tough fishing for sure. Water temps are also cold! Don't under estimate how fast a cold river will zap your strength and ability to swim-PFDs. Lets say it together...PFDs! Dead guys can't tell fishing stories to their kids!

Keep safe and enjoy your time on the river

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Hey Walt, Any improvement in the water levels yet? My family and I are thinking about heading up that way to float Paxson to Sourdough about mid-week. Could you keep us updated. I appreciate your reports. Thanks.

Copper basin river gauges here. Use the drop down menus at the bottom. Not all seem to work well but the Gulkana gauges seem consistent.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pafc3

Looks like the water is dropping nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Copper basin river gauges here. Use the drop down menus at the bottom. Not all seem to work well but the Gulkana gauges seem consistent.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pafc3

Looks like the water is dropping nicely.
    Yeah, thanks andweav. I am familiar with that site. Good site. I was just hoping for a more detailed description from Walt.

Always nice to get firsthand intel. I may be up in the next day or two. (lower river)