Thread: New Nosler bullet

Default New Nosler bullet

So, I guess Nosler has come out with a solid copper bullet, similiar to Barnes. Kinda looks more like the MRX than the TSX. Its called the E-tip. Not a real big solid copper bullet fan, just figured others would be interested.

http://www.nosler.com/

Anyone else see a lawsuit coming? Or maybe Barnes will roll out a partition.

I'm interested to see the results of side by side testing. Guilding metal is harder than pure copper. I'll wager that these will end up being picky like the original X-bullets were.
    Choice is good.

Expanding frontal portion, bulkhead, rear core. Sounds like a partition to me. Only it's an MRX. The new E-tip looks like a coreless Failsafe with a ballistic tip. I'm sure the lawyers poured over patents before they brought this one out. I wonder if these will be as brittle as the Failsafes because in many of the tests I saw they shed the petals, but they sure did pentrate and the petals flying everywhere poked a lot of secondary holes in the ballistic gelatin. This must be a new gilding metal alloy. The picture on their website implies that they don't shed petals and expand at lower velocities than XXX bullets. If it isn't a new alloy, then I think people are going to be disappointed. I wonder if they will be as sensitive to seating depth as the Barnes. Think I'll sit this one out for a while and not be an early adopter. Anyway, I just ordered a boat load of bullets from Nosler and these won't be available until the fall. I imagine by then the gun rag writers will have told us about how these are the best bullets ever, at least until their next junket.

I'll wait for the real experts, the guys on this forum, to tell me if they are any good.

Default Look

What I found interesting on this site was the Model 48 rifle that Nosler came out with, 5 3/4 lbs garunteed 3/4 MOA or your money back. The bullets may be cost prohibitive.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks Tom for the notice.
    Like others, I also suspect this new bullet will be similarly finicky as we experienced with the original X's, and I will wait this bullet out as well. Fast forwarding into the future....I'm picturing concentric rings on the Nosler shank, and/or polymer tips on TSX's.

Doc,

Just what I was thinking about future develpments. I think that this will force Barnes to make a TSX+ with a polymer tip to increase expansion at lower velocities. The solid copper base bullets that have a reputation for accuracy, TSX and Northforks, have the pressure relief grooves. Anyway competition will be good for improvements, innovations, and pricing. If we are patient we consumers will be the long term winners.

What I am really curious about is how Nosler has come up with an alloy that is both harder, to decrease fouling, and more ductile, to prevent the petals from shedding. I'm obviously not a metalurgist, but this sort of strikes me as "jumbo shrimp" if you get my meaning. I believe Barnes anneals its bullets to counteract the work hardening from forming them. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Anyone else see a lawsuit coming? Or maybe Barnes will roll out a partition.

I'm interested to see the results of side by side testing. Guilding metal is harder than pure copper. I'll wager that these will end up being picky like the original X-bullets were.
    Choice is good.
    Truth be told the Barnes X bullet closely resembled a bullet being produced by PO Ackley decades ago. Then when they added the grooves to it to creat the TSX is resembled a bullet made by a South Africa company
    Tennessee

By original x-bullets, I was reffering to the ones before the triple shocks. Barnes isn't responsible for the original design, just responsible for bringing it to the masses. You are correct.

It will be interesting to see how the "Nosler X's" are priced. The TSX's are spendy, which may give some room for competitive pricing by Nosler as they enter the "pure copper" market...but I have no idea at all about development and production costs in this industry.

I wonder what Randy & Connie Brooks are thinking right now. I'll email Barnes to see what they have to say about this new development at the Nosler ranch.

Some pictures of this new Nosler bullet compared to the Barnes TSX on the longrangehunting.com web site.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthrea...&page=0#150990