Thread: Little Su

Default Little Su

Would any of you have any advice on a canoe trip down the little su for a novice?

Take two days. Bring the camping gear and go from the Parks bridge to the landing. Watch out for sweepers. I have heard of allot of people flipping their canoes on sweepers and losing allot of equipment and guns, so make sure your stuff floats. ~907

between now and Mid July would be perfect for a trip...

I suspect with the closure of the fishing there will be few powerboats in your way.

As said Sweepers are your biggest hazard. I wouldn't take a beginning paddler either, been dumped by far to many padders who "knew" what they were doing but in reality never did anything other than paddle out on a lake during summer camp.

Sweepers are your biggest issue. I recommend being able to ferry the canoe, facing either upstream or downstream (back paddling). This will allow you to move across the river to avoid obstructions without moving downstream. There are plenty of books on basic canoe strokes. If your paddling partner and you are new together, or if you are going solo and need to practice, then go out on a local lake and practice the basic strokes and ferry techniques. Always wear your life jacket - always. Use waterproof gear bags and tie your gear inside the canoe in case of capsizing. The inside of the corner is usually the safest route until you get comfortable reading the currents. Have fun! This is a great solo or family trip.

There was only 2 spots last year that could've been sketchy though anything can change.

Mid trip we got into 2 area with log jams, one on a quick right turn.

Just pay attention and you should be fine.

Couple weeks ago, I offered free rentals (inflatable canoes and kayaks) to people going up and being involved with the Lil' Su clean-up the stream effort. Nobody had incidents, tip-overs, or sweeper issues, and made the miles or so in a long day. Most where relatively inexperienced and this makes for a fine 1-2 day outing at whatever put-ins and take-outs ---- just a big word of caution to stay off the upper/upper sections up Hatcher Pass unless you are very highly experienced boaters.

What other out ins do you have on the Little Su south of the Parks other than the Nancy Lake canoe trail?

I do recall mid river ish we came upon an ATV trail that came upon the river from a power line but hasn't looked into it.

I'd say power boats are the biggest hazard on that river. Fortunately you can hear them coming. They will want to be on the outside of a turn, so you should get to the inside when you hear one.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I'd say power boats are the biggest hazard on that river. Fortunately you can hear them coming. They will want to be on the outside of a turn, so you should get to the inside when you hear one.
    Solid recommendation. I got a little wet last year from a boater that changed course at the last minute. Luckily the Su is a wet noodle chalk full of bends so generally once you hear a boat you have ample time to shore up and let them pass.

Also if you have never done the trip, you'll find that camp sites are few and at between about 6-8 hours into the float so don't pass up those that are suitable.
    I loved hittin the lower end on day 2 and using the state tent camps. Pretty Cush!