Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting opinion article on ADN. Hatcher Pass bear hunt.

Default Interesting opinion article on ADN. Hatcher Pass bear hunt.

You guys probably seen this and already posted on here. I've been busy the last couple of weeks and might have missed it. Anyhow, there is so much mis-information on this opinion piece, I can't beleive it can be printed in a paper, even if it is just an opinion. The comments are great also. I'm guessing that how they actually hunted the bear down was not told correctly either, as I hadn't heard of any violations coming out of it, but as noted, I might have missed it.

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/161389
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I wasn't aware that herding bears with equipment was legal or that the shooting of brown bear sows accompanied with cubs was legal. His beef should be with the troopers (if the incidence was reported) for not doing anything about it.

In another article, he states, "What does “high-profile encounter” mean? In one case a man got mauled by a grizzly---in the other a man shot a video of a black bear walking down the street. That’s just careless, overblown journalism" I assume he is compensated for his articles (or desires to be compensated). IMO, looks like he is trying for a share in the overblown journalism market. http://community.adn.com/?q=adn/node/161056

Here's the irony-he blames the hunters for being selfish and killing this bear for their own personal gain. He is mad because this bear lived where he lived or recreated and he enjoyed having it there.
    Would he have cared if this bear was killed 100 or 1,000 miles away? If he does, he didn't write much about any other specific bears. No, he is looking out for #1, just like the hunters-imagine that. If this guy really cared about all bears, he would surely be doing more for bear conservation than he is. IMO, the hunters did more for bear conservation by paying for a hunting license.
    I can't say that I would have hunted bears in this manner, but these holier than thou op-ed pieces crack me up.

Since most of the writers information was not fact, I can only assume (such as he did) that the story about how they hunted the bear was embellished. But who knows. Once the cubs are older than two years, they, as well as the sow, are fair game, I believe. That is an ethical question for the hunter to decide.

Agree with you on overblown journalism.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

How do they know one of those cubs was not a female...might still be a breeding female in Hatchers Pass..lol

Journalism at it's worst for sure...Surprised that they posted this...to each their own I reckon.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I also agree that perhaps one of the cubs could be a female, and therfore could be breeding in the future. Does the author know for a fact that the sow was the "only breeding sow in the area"? Did he speak with one of the biologists that work the area to confirm this?

He says that his neighbor "witnessed virtually the entire hunt", so that being said the neighbor he got the story from does not know exactly how it all went down. It also leads me to believe that the way he stated that it happened is not true.

He also says "just like the trapper who shot a horse and left it to rot as bait to lure the last breeding female of a Denali National Park wolf pack into a snare", is he implying that the trapper specifically targeted that wolf in particular??

He also states that his neighbor told the hunters that the sow had "one more season to teach her cubs to survive and behave properly with Humans." Who is this guy, the bear whisperer?

Granted this guy is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else, but he seems to be trying to state alot of fact, with no way of proving any of his statements.

Matt,

I agree..therefor cannot believe the senior editor at ADN let it fly....I know they have to be unbiased, although it would seem they would check the facts before hitting the print button. Should have added that "check back as this is a developing story"..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    I also agree that perhaps one of the cubs could be a female, and therfore could be breeding in the future. Does the author know for a fact that the sow was the "only breeding sow in the area"? Did he speak with one of the biologists that work the area to confirm this?

He says that his neighbor "witnessed virtually the entire hunt", so that being said the neighbor he got the story from does not know exactly how it all went down. It also leads me to believe that the way he stated that it happened is not true.

He also says "just like the trapper who shot a horse and left it to rot as bait to lure the last breeding female of a Denali National Park wolf pack into a snare", is he implying that the trapper specifically targeted that wolf in particular??

He also states that his neighbor told the hunters that the sow had "one more season to teach her cubs to survive and behave properly with Humans." Who is this guy, the bear whisperer?

Granted this guy is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else, but he seems to be trying to state alot of fact, with no way of proving any of his statements.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sometimes I am quite ashamed of my town's paper, especially when they employ people such as Rudy Wittshirk. If you go through the archives and look at any of his articles, he is only about one step behind Timmy Treadwell. Blame the human, blame the white man, blame the establishment for just about anything. He has a particularly bitter tone in his arcticles that I find insufferable. Ironically, his opinions are always buried in the paper but I get all of my news online where the opinions show up next to the headlines. Ughh.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

What I want to know is how in the hell can he say it was the "last surviving breeding sow in Hatcher Pass"...??? I would be willing to bet that he, like the F&G has NO IDEA how many bears are in the area. He makes it sound like this is the only sow that has been there for years and years and now she's dead. What a crock....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Funny article, but not suprised since it was coming from adn.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Sometimes I am quite ashamed of my town's paper, especially when they employ people such as Rudy Wittshirk. If you go through the archives and look at any of his articles, he is only about one step behind Timmy Treadwell. Blame the human, blame the white man, blame the establishment for just about anything. He has a particularly bitter tone in his arcticles that I find insufferable. Ironically, his opinions are always buried in the paper but I get all of my news online where the opinions show up next to the headlines. Ughh.
    You heard a bitter tone?... I couldn't hear much over the wailing...

Overblown journalism at its finest yet I expect nothing less from the far end that ADN comes from these days.

I spend quit a bit of time in HP and unless this guy spends his time sitting on his front porch his facts aren't worth jack ****. I know for a fact there's well over 3 different sows all holding cubs, not to mention a slew of black bears, coyote, wolf and mature legal moose to be found.

If he wants up close and personal view perhaps he should move to south Anchorage.

Funny how they talk about all the bears getting killed off in the comments like there are a finite number and no more bears can be created. In just a couple days hunting this spring we saw about 10 bears and would have seen a bunch more had we started two weeks earlier. I guarantee that the people commenting on that article drive right by Alaska in their haste to get to it. They don't see the real wildlife all over the place since it acts WILD and they are driving by it at 70mph! So they flock to Denali where they go 25mph with 50 sets of eyes scouring the land to find the "friendly bears" that live in harmony with school bus loads of tourists. All the while convincing themselves that it is the last bastion for wildlife in the state...

Oh my goodness LuJon, no wonder alaska's population is growing. Anyone with common sense after being touched by these weirdo's will want to flee to our shores.

Whitshirk is a nut and has been writing this garbage for 20 years. In the fall we will see an article about atvs herding the last moose in hatchers pass to it's demise. Same article different season.

The biggest irony to me is that he doesn't give much credit to the resilience, toughness, and adaptability of the wild animals he claims to adore. How did they survive the last couple hundred thousand years without him!?

Default Wherever did you find that video-kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You heard a bitter tone?... I couldn't hear much over the wailing...

That video is awesome man! These idiots are all over and this was so appropriate, thanks for the laugh!

As I see it, ADN has had some articles written in the past that I see as unfavorable to the hunting world. This article is no different. I remember one in particular about a guide, guiding illegally. This guide did not have a guide license. I thought you had to have a guide license to be a guide? Just my observation and the way I see it.

Was this actually printed in the paper? I may have missed it. I read the online ADN fairly often, but never came across this guy's "blog" before. On his page there are some other compos "dementis" web scholars filling the online paper with their blather. I'm surprised ADN gives these guys online space to post. They aren't reporting anything, but are just their personal political screeds. I'm loath to mention him but a guy called "Al-Hajj" has his own laundry list of complaints about the world - his blog was listed on the same page as Witshirk.

Newspapers make a mistake giving these whiners a place on their webpages. They are nothing more than a longer letter to the editor.

Not that is matters, but did you notice Witshirk's proof that "the last breeding sow in HP" was shot... was complete hearsay? He witnessed nothing. He would be better served joining the hippies wailing about the trees.

tis also interesting to note that without the evil ADFG the game animals in this state would have been hunted into near extinction by the lack of regulations. I see it as the F&G being one of the saviors to these great animals. I am originally from Missouri, and there with the dept of conservation there would probably be no more white tail deer. They brought them back from less than 1000 animals to a very healthy herd of over a million. Hard to believe that someone who claims to be so smart and so FOR the animals that he would bash one of the main reasons they are still around. I say, keep with it F&G you're doing a pretty good job

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast