Thread: Securing Outboard While Trailering

Default Securing Outboard While Trailering

Hey Fellow Boaters - what are you using to secure your outboard(s) while trailering? I have a single 225 Honda and have simply used the standard lever with the motor all the way up - which I know I should not do. Anyone try the My-Wedge (http://www.m-ywedge.com/) or other ideas? My motor sits too low to the ground if I leave it all the way down - another option is to simply use a 2x4. I've heard transom savers can create problems of their own. Other thoughts?

I was going to suggest a transom saver until read your thread. What problems have transom savers caused? My dad had one on his boat, (Heck, he's gone, but I still have the boat AND the transom saver.) and drove through four pick up trucks towing the bass boat to tournaments for most of my childhood and part of my adult life with no issues.

That my wedge is a smart idea that should keep the o/b from shifting let and right, but what stops the bouncing and the transfer of that energy into the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak_hunter View Post
    Hey Fellow Boaters - what are you using to secure your outboard(s) while trailering? I have a single 225 Honda and have simply used the standard lever with the motor all the way up - which I know I should not do. Anyone try the My-Wedge (http://www.m-ywedge.com/) or other ideas? My motor sits too low to the ground if I leave it all the way down - another option is to simply use a 2x4. I've heard transom savers can create problems of their own. Other thoughts?

I've also used the transom saver for years. Never had a poblem & I think it takes pressure off the transom ...especially on rough roads. I used a 2x6 before transom savers came out.
    Cheers.
    '08 Hewescraft 220 Searunner ht/et
    Yamahas: 150 & 9.9HT/Yamaha fuel-flow gauges
    Raymarine C-80 chartplotter/sounder/radar
    Icom vhf/Dickinson 9000 heater/Ace Brutus+40 pot puller/Zodiac tender

I've had my boat for 21 years and have used a transom saver since day one without any issues at all.
    I wouldn't trailer without it!!!!

Yamaha makes a rubber piston cover that cushions the weight of your motor on your transom. Your motor sits about half way down. I could not find the thread but it was discussed about a year ago. I have twin Yamaha 225's and feel these help allot. They also cover the piston so it is protected from any dings.

M-Ywedge. Been using them for years.

On my Twin Honda OBs I use a tapered 2X4 and use the hydraulic to wedge it in with a safety red rag on OB to get traffics attention.
    More concerned about being rear ended and hurting someone with motors up. And secondary is insurance replacing my my older great running Honda outboards.

I have twin 150 yamahas. I used to use the tabs......bad idea, not made for trailering. My trailer is too far forward to use a transom saver, so I use the M-Y wedge, which works very well. Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I was going to suggest a transom saver until read your thread. What problems have transom savers caused? My dad had one on his boat, (Heck, he's gone, but I still have the boat AND the transom saver.) and drove through four pick up trucks towing the bass boat to tournaments for most of my childhood and part of my adult life with no issues.

That my wedge is a smart idea that should keep the o/b from shifting let and right, but what stops the bouncing and the transfer of that energy into the transom?
    The M-Y wedge has a squishy plastic tip on top of the cylinder. The cylinder goes over the piston. The squishy durable plastic absorbs the energy, similar principal to a shock absorber

Many thanks for all the feedback. The main issue I have heard with transom savers - whether true or not - is that energy from bumps/holes on the roads are transfered through the transom saver to the lower unit of the motor. Since the motor is held by the tilt piston and can no longer pivot away from the boat and trailer, the impact of the energy on the lower unit is amplified - with added stress on the mounting hardware.

I have placed an order with M-Y Wedge. I did use the 2x4 approach on a previous boat - with a 90 hp outboard - and it seemed to work fairly well, but the board would tend to loosen up on bumpy roads.