Thread: Lavro Drift Boats

Default Lavro Drift Boats

I'm considering buying a 16' Lavro drift boat for the Kenai and wanted to know if there were any Alaskan owners out there that had some input to offer about quality, construction and manuverability.

This is the boat
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...raft_Boat.html

Also wondering if I could get by with a 2.5 horse Evinrude outboard until I upgrade to a 9.9?

I'm a complete novice so any thoughts are appreciated.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Lavro boats have been aropund for a while. I havn't heard anything derogatory about them, so they can't be all bad. That looks like a decent deal as long as the boat hasn't been beat on. 2.5 evinrude might be a bit on the weak side if your planning on carrying very much or travling very far. I would look into getting a 9.9 if your going to be using the motor very much

Get an aluminum high side. Glass boats aren't all that great. Lavros are nice and can take a beating, but I'd invest in an aluminum boat, especially if you're going to run a river with rocks. Also, you'll want a 9.9 for your boat. I had a small motor on my 16' drift boat and it was SAAAALOWWW...unless you don't mind going slow then get a small motor.

You know you can get a brand new willies aluminum for like $5000 right? http://www.willieboats.com/new_demo_boats.htm

Save your money on the 2.5. My small 4hp barely pushed that boat with three people in it.

FYI
    When it comes to drift boats and whether it's easy rowing or not, the wider the better.
    Wider boats float higher and therefore have less drag and are easier to row.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    FYI
    When it comes to drift boats and whether it's easy rowing or not, the wider the better.
    Wider boats float higher and therefore have less drag and are easier to row.
    Too true. I would get no less than a 60" bottom.