Thread: Fishing/Camping 15-18 June

Default Fishing/Camping 15-18 June

First off, I love this site. I have used it many time for gathering info before a trip. This weekend myself and a few others are planning on making a trip somewhere south of Fairbanks for a few days. I am not very familiar with the areas outside of Fairbanks as far as fishing and camping both g,o plus there will be a "convoy" of about 7 vehicles in our group - two with travel trailers.

I looked in the the Klutina, but the campgrounds there are pretty much booked. I read about Deshka and it seems the counts have dropped a bit. Kings or Reds would be great to fish for and dip netting will be open at Chitina (with a +10 supplemental).

I guess my question is does anyone know any good large group/family/kid friendly places for camping as close to salmon fishing as possible, south of Fairbanks and north of Anchorage?

Thanks for all the info.

I thought the Chitina was only open for dipnetting this past weekend.

I called F & G and it's open from Monday till Sunday with a +10 limit. After Monday the +10 goes away.

The EO that is posted says it's open from 11 June to 17 June with a +10 limit for dip netting. I called F & G and they confirmed. Only allowed to keep 1 King tho. The rest are reds. On 18 June no more keeping kings and the +10 goes away.

Anyone know how the fishing is at Willow Creek near Willow? Kings are in Deshka what about this Willow Creek?

Willow and the rest of unit 2 is weekend only, C&R only. Expect it to be high and muddy with this rain. I've heard of a couple kings being caught but thats all. It normally doesn't pick up till the third week of June.

Check the emergency orders on Dip Netting you might find the rentention of Kings for Dip Netting is no more on the Copper.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Check the emergency orders on Dip Netting you might find the rentention of Kings for Dip Netting is no more on the Copper.
    Here is the EO for the week I mentioned - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInfo.NR&NRID=162 9&Year=2012

For the following week here is the EO - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1631&Year=2012 which states "The Chitina Subdistrict will open from 12:01 a.m. Monday, June 18 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 24.
    Effective 12:01 a.m. Monday, June 18, the Chitina Subdistrict Personal Use Dip Net Salmon Fishery is closed to the retention of king salmon for the remainder of the 2012 season. King salmon incidentally taken may not be retained and must be released immediately and returned to the water unharmed."

So everyone has until 11:59pm on 17 June 2012 to pull one King out of the river. I called F&G here in Fairbanks and verified this info today.