Thread: Quick Shrimp Question?

Default Quick Shrimp Question?

Anyone ever shrimp Hinchinbrook, or Montague islands. I usually shrimp close to Valdez but this weekend my friend, and I are going to spend the night at Hinchinbrook on a overnighter. I would like to know if it is worthwhile to take the pots out that far? I think we have three choices leave pots in the truck, bait heave leave in my normal spot couple days, or take them out with me. Iím not asking for your spot just if you have had any success out that far (unless you want to give up a spot lmao)

I produce less the farther south I go. Always worth taking pots and trying if you have room for them

Along those same lines, does anyone know if the shrimp trawlers work a specific area to avoid, or if they just roam around the sound? I know one of them was working near the commercial boats somewhere in the Coghill or Eshamy district because I was listening to him talk to someone on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Along those same lines, does anyone know if the shrimp trawlers work a specific area to avoid, or if they just roam around the sound? I know one of them was working near the commercial boats somewhere in the Coghill or Eshamy district because I was listening to him talk to someone on the radio.
    I have only seen them work the deep water in Port Wells.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've only done a little bit of shrimping in the middle of the sound. There are shrimp out there based on what I've seen in the pots, and yellow eye that have puked up shrimp. That said, I've found the fjords tend to be much more productive. I wouldn't spend alot of time and gas pulling pots down that way.

My recomendation would be drop them in your normal spot for a few days. But if you have two strings, maybe drop 3 pots in your normal spot, and take 2 pots to prospect where you are staying overnight. Nothing better than grilling up shrimp fresh from the pot.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.