Thread: DPE fees in your area?

Default DPE fees in your area?

What are the DPE fees running in your area? Here on the Kenai Peninsula the DPE I have been using for the last 10 years is now charging $400 for a float (SES) check-ride.....

There are only two on the Kenai Penn. Dean in Soldotna / Sterling and during the summer Vern over in Moose Pass.

The FAA guys will claim we do not need any more DPE's,,,, saying that they could do the check-rides... That is until you actually try to schedule one...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I went to Dean for my checkride a few years back. Some folks here have gone to Sheble's to get stuff out of the way quicker. I just went to check their site. Their DPE is charging $500.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Wait until Jan. or Feb. buy a ticket to Orlando take a vacation and go over to Brown Sea Plane base in winter haven. I would guess that you could have a vacation and get your rating for a little more. I flew with Jack Brown at ABX Air, great guy.

I always wondered why Jack Brown makes the clients fly from the back seat?

Some folks here have gone to Sheble's to get stuff out of the way quicker.
    Yeap,, I (and Vern in Moose Pass) get a lot of them after they bought their paperwork at Sheble's who want to know how to actually fly floats and not kill themselves.

Thats a good question F/P, sorry can't ans. that, only flew DC-9's with Chuck Brown (not Jack, miss typed above).

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Yeap, I (and Vern in Moose Pass) get a lot of them after they bought their paperwork at Sheble's who want to know how to actually fly floats and not kill themselves.
    I've heard some of those students themselves say that after you get your training there you have to go and learn the stuff for real...never been myself so no experience to relate...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

How many hours are required to get your float rating? Does one have to "re-solo" in floats and then get so many solo hours etc to take the check ride? Is the check ride basicly just touch and goes? What are the float rated CFI's charging per hour?

Im sure all the same insurance debacles apply when trying to find a CFI to do the training in your own plane too (either you rent their plane or they charge you 100$/hr in your OWN plane lol). Not sure why floats are not a log book endorsement, floats are easier to fly than tires at least on a tail wheel plane.

Those questions and incorrect suppositions would be better answered in a new thread.

DPE in Fairbanks is running $400...

I think I paid the same in Anchorage last summer for SES.

Somebody else called me and reported he paid $500 in Anchorage a couple weeks ago for a multi check-ride.