Thread: Can't keep Chitina Kings After June 18th

Default Can't keep Chitina Kings After June 18th

I guessed this day before the season even started. I knew kings would close by July 1, but I was pretty sure the 18th was going to be it. This is why we planned our first trip of the year for this upcoming weekend. I just hope the fish remember to swim upstream!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...a%20120612.pdf

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_...s_editors_desk

Funny (not) a friend told me he could get Copper River Kings in Costco in Washington for $38/pound right now. Not enough in the river for a guy to keep one King dipnetting but enough for certain people to buy as many they want in a Wholesale store. I feel lucky I did get mine already.

If you caught a king then don't complain, as you are technically part of the harvest problem. There have been closed areas to protect the kings in the Cordova fishery for a while now.

What is wrong with this resource being shared with the world? Can't tell you how many friends on various continents have begged me jokingly for fresh salmon recently.

I wonder what the total king harvest is at the end of the season from the PU dippers, subsistence dippers, and fish wheels at the end of the season. Right now the commercial harvest is only 8000 or so, which doesn't seem like a very big take to me. I'd almost bet that the non-commercial harvest is about the same when it's all said and done.

Compare that to the nearly 1 million reds the commfish fleet has taken and it doesn't seem like much at all....

....yet thy allowed the 1 incidental below and 5 above the bridge. Apparently sports fishin is the problem.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    ....yet thy allowed the 1 incidental below and 5 above the bridge. Apparently sports fishin is the problem.
    That's Fish and Game for you, though. They have to try to keep everyone happy while still making sure some fish actually survive to spawn. Allocations and all.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I wonder what the total king harvest is at the end of the season from the PU dippers, subsistence dippers, and fish wheels at the end of the season...

FYI
    Fishery management report for the recreational fisheries of the ...

Had to chuckle at that. As soon as I posted that, I thought, "I bet Gr8fl will jump in with a chart or graph to prove me wrong".

Sorry, bro...I don't know the answers, just looked 'em up with the fancy fish search button...

Does anybody ever dip just for silvers? If so, when and how is that done?

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra View Post
    Does anybody ever dip just for silvers? If so, when and how is that done?
    If you go as late as possible in the season you will probably get some silvers. But you'll also get reds. Most likely, more reds than silvers. Same method. I may actually give the late season a try this year if I can fit it in.

Mid to late August, even into September, for coho. River tends to be very low which makes for easier fishing and MUCH safer conditions. You will be there by yourself - a nice bonus from the typical circus. Agreed you will still be picking up sockeye too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Sport harvest is supposed to drop to 2 from 4 also

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Default Late stuff is steadier dipping and no crowds but...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Mid to late August, even into September, for coho. River tends to be very low which makes for easier fishing and MUCH safer conditions. You will be there by yourself - a nice bonus from the typical circus. Agreed you will still be picking up sockeye too.
    Downside of later dipping is that there is never a chance for a king(even when we are allowed to keep one if one gets past the out of state commercial fishers) and its late summer before one gets fresh salmon. I've nice frozen fillets but that first fresh one, Wow!
    It is real nice to get out quick with Hem and get primo spots, as there are so few dippers.
    Last two years went mid Aug or later and I got very few Silvers. Maybe 2-3 out of 35 or so(20ish for me and 10-15 for Proxie). Not sure if some years Silvers can be running earlier or reds be run out but I've had good luck last two years.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

We had 5 permit holders this weekend with 4 proxies and pulled in our 9 kings. We tossed back 2, one early on one because we limited. We also chucked back 4 jack kings, one about the size of a medium red and 3 tiny ones.

Chupacabra, we used to dip in mid-to-later August for silvers, as has been stated by a couple of other posters herein.

I'll add, though, that since our late-season dipping in the early '90s and before, it's my understanding that the silver run up the Copper and tributaries is reportedly somewhat dimished. I don't have any data at my proverbial finger-tips to support that statement, just reports from others who still venture down that way during that part of the run...

Back then, before the road to Haley Creek was closed to standard vehicle traffic, we used to venture down to near the tunnel, where there were varying steepnesses or grades of trails leading down to the river near the southern boundaries of the canyon. There was a gentle shale out-cropping there, with a very limited knoll covered in grass at the base of one trail, with aspen tightly surrounding it, and very little traffic to speak of later in the year. We had just enough room to put up a 10'x10' dome, air mattresses, and place cook stoves, a stove-top espresso maker, etc., on the rocks, and make a week-end of it.

We were living just north of Valdez back then, so access and fuel-pricing made it a much more accessible outing for us, not to mention the condition of the road and trails near Haley Creek.

I preferred the reds over the silvers for cooking and smoking both, but that later-season outing, in the manner described, was a favorite get-a-way for a period of time..

Default Charters end round about mid-Aug

Quote Originally Posted by Chitina View Post
    Downside of later dipping is that there is never a chance for a king(even when we are allowed to keep one if one gets past the out of state commercial fishers) and its late summer before one gets fresh salmon. I've nice frozen fillets but that first fresh one, Wow!
    It is real nice to get out quick with Hem and get primo spots, as there are so few dippers.
    Last two years went mid Aug or later and I got very few Silvers. Maybe 2-3 out of 35 or so(20ish for me and 10-15 for Proxie). Not sure if some years Silvers can be running earlier or reds be run out but I've had good luck last two years.
    For info: Mark has chartered to Mid-Aug plus a week or so the last two years at least. Sam quits earlier, not sure how much. But there is not a huge amount of customers for Mark so I do appreciate his later work. I think the first year I looked into going late, 3-5 yrs ago?, he was somewhat playing it by ear and pulled out a bit earlier than I had heard he was going to(also he had some sort of non-chartering emergency come up and so had to deal with it).
    The last 2 years, at least, I was to get a date on when he was pulling out and he keep to it. So I was able to go the last week or so of his efforts and that was excellent. Steady dipping, very few if any silvers, and maybe 2 boat loads going out in the morning(I believe that I did go mid-week though) and few dippers=top spots available.
    I'll be doing the same this year and will need to know that cut off date for planning purposes. Will try and find out how late Mark is chartering this year and will share it when I get it.
    or....if someone is down in Chitina and gets a chance to talk to him or Charter ask him/Hem (ha-ha) and see if he has that date in mind yet and let me and others know.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com