Thread: Portage

Default Portage

Has anyone looked or paddled the Portage in the past week? I was wondering what's it like with all the melt-off and rain. We usually do it as our first trip just to shake out the cob webs and exercise our paddling muscles before doing something a little more adventurous and we can stop and fish the gravel bars along the way.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Thumbs up

Yep - levels are good from Portage Lake outlet to several of the traditional take-outs. What may be of most surprise is some lake ice w/ slurry still coming downstream with some glacial ice and the vegetation is way behind as compared with Anchorage or Girdwood.

Good idea to always prepare for winds, rains, and colder conditions... Portage is a great little float!

Bit early-bird for any fishing, yet possible little Dolly Var Char in the clear-water tribs.

I floated it sunday afternoon. Water was pretty thin at the start, constantly picking your way between the rocks and bottoming out on the gravel. No damage to raft. Rained most of the time but had the whole place to myself. Be sure to bring bug spray, got out at what I thought was the takeout and got swarmed by bugs and ended with a cloud of them following me down river. I missed my takeout and got out at the horse ranch which was cool as I had no idea it was even back there.

This was my first trip on the packraft and really enjoyed it. Can't wait to do more.

Thanks Guys
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Hi guys, we are going to take the raft out for a day at Portage, what is an average float time from the Begich bridge to the highway? Just looking for a ballpark answer.

Thanks

I think it took me about an hour and 45

Steve

Thumbs up

Hello Portage Creek floaters,

Give yourself 2-3 hours average float times (with a quick stop for stretchin' the legs, snacks, to restroom breaks) when using inflatable raft or cataraft and somewhat less for canoes, kayaks.

Good thing to keep in mind are variable winds and wet weather. Good idea to be prepared.

Water levels change relatively often (nothing too suddenly), and float classification is always the Class I-II (never pushy). There can be trees (both sweepers and strainers as well as beaver stubs) easily seen and not difficult to avoid.

Survey your put-ins and especially take-outs!!! Wood pallet and trash burning has left rusty nails, screws, glass and so on strewn about all over --- particularly at waters edge!!!!!!! Never good for vehicle or trailer tires and dragging inflatable boats out of the water. On highway take-out... try not to hit the bridge metal, plus note that the hydo-axe has left ankle-biters as you portage your boat up and over a sharp guardrail.

Great little day float!!! May see me or one to several of my boats out on the creek.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did the lake from Placer Creek all the way down to the Seward Hwy. The lake still has some ice, and the wind determines where it chokes, unfortunately it was against the shore closest the hwy when we paddled and we had to portage around about 20 ft of ice before continuing down to Portage Creek. The boulder field was easily navigated due to a little more water than usual and we only bumped bottom a couple of times in our 10 ft kayaks. We took the right fork to the slough and stopped for about 45 minutes to chill on the gravel bar just before the slough. Encountered 1 sweeper just past the slough, someone had already cut the top out to make a narrow passage, but we had to dig pretty hard to cut the corner and miss the remaining branches; the wife got a couple of scratches on her left arm as she passed it. it took us about 3 hours from Placer creek to the Seward Hwy take out, including the 45 minute break. Over all, a nice relaxing paddle/float.

Note to self....

"add buck saw to equipment list for next float."