Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zach's Spring Bear Hunt.

Default Zach's Spring Bear Hunt.

My son Zach moved up to live near me this winter and he and I decided to head out to PWS to see if we could find Zach a bear and me some fish and shrimp for the freezer. Also wanted to try out a new 4 bladed prop and get some fuel and load data for our trip up the Yukon this fall.

I think we have enough gear to outfit an Army.

After we got to our spot we setup camp and got the Jet Ranger ready. I made an adapter to use with my portable compressor to top off the Ranger to 4 psi, the foot pump is way too much for me.

Got a great camp setup.

After we got camp setup we dropped our shrimp pots and grilled up some steaks for dinner.

After dinner I consulted with my WEATHER ROCK and since it was dry and not moving, we decided it was nice weather for an evening sit. We setup at our stand and did a honey burn, within 5 minutes we spotted a bear. Zach could have shot him, but I wanted a better look so we decided pass and wait to see what else came close. As dark neared we moved back out to the raft, as we were loading up I spotted a nice bear @ 95 yards. I dropped down and helped Zach get ready for the shot. I gave Zach the Okay to shoot and told him he was at 95 yards. Zach used my pack as a rest and fired, his Savage muzzle Loader belched fire in the low light. I was ready to back him up, but there was no need. Zach had put the 325 grain Hornaday FTX straight through his boiler and he was done and only took a few steps before a death moan echoed through the valley. I was swelling with pride as we approached his first bear, a beautiful bore.

Zach's first lesson was NOT to get too close to the scope while in the prone position.

We loaded his bear into the raft and returned to camp.

Quick breakfast and it is skinning time.

We assemble the tools for the job.

The meat hook sure makes it easy to hold greasy legs.

Nice shot placement and huge exit wound.

With the bear on the meat pole, it is fishing time. We pulled the pots and Zach dropped the jig and brought up a nice Greening. Since he was fatally hooked, I decided to add him and some shrimp to my ceviche.

Time to get dinner ready with all the doings done for the day and get some beverages on ice.

Fresh Bear and Shrimp on the grill!!

The ceviche is awesome!!

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very Nice!

Are there other spots on the sound that have the tent platforms? We don't have a big enough boat to camp on/in it so we usually camp in wet spots on shore. The tent platforms would be very nice.

Congrat's to your son. The food pic's are making my mouth water!!!!!!!!!!! Great job as usual. Looks like the start to another banner season. Congrat's to you Steve and great pic's .

Once again, excellent write-up.

I'm surprised you and stranger don't regularly write for a magazine about your adventures.

I guess that's their loss ... so thanks for sharing with us.

The next day we ran to town to pick up Mr and Mrs Alaska_lanche. Once they got their camp set we enjoyed a awesome meal and a warm fire.

Even had some camp fire Jiffy Pop!!

We awoke the next day to wet conditions. I consulted the WEATHER ROCK and since it had water running off and was moving, my years of experience led me to believe that it was raining and windy.

As the morning wore on I again checked the WEATHER ROCK and indeed the forecast had improved, so we loaded up for a run to the fishing grounds.

The ride out to the fishing grounds was everything that PWS is, dolphins, whales, bergs, God I love it here.

Was not long before we started catching fish and the day produced a mixed bag.

Decided to wrangle some ice to cool down our catch and to add to my Crown and coke back at camp.

Founding Member

Awesome!! I guess the "should he shoot" question has been answered. <grin> My son and I got skunked on our first bear hunt together this spring but I am hoping to bring it all together this fall.

Once back at camp, I decided to let the young guns make dinner while I sipped on a Crown on glacier ice and baked a cake in my dutch oven.

Dinner was awesome and the company was hard to beat as well.

Founding Member

Spent some time just sight seeing, watched some goats for a while.

Caught a huge octopus.

Before we knew it, it was time to head home. I tried to sink my Wolly, but she took it all and brought us home safe.

Thanks to all for coming along with us on our great adventure!!

Steve and Zach
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Very Nice!

Are there other spots on the sound that have the tent platforms? We don't have a big enough boat to camp on/in it so we usually camp in wet spots on shore. The tent platforms would be very nice.
    There are some maps that have all the campsites listed. There are a few around that I know of.
    Founding Member

Congrats to your son on a nice bear! Cool story and really nice pictures. Can't wait to get back from the desert so I can hunt in the fall.

I've spoke at length with many people regarding fishing, hunting, glacier viewing, etc. Sure, such guided trips are a cheap introduction into the majestic world around us. It's certain fun to drop a line to the bottom of the ocean, hook a big one.. and then have some bragging rights. Personally, I would also rather have one trip with the days activities loosely planned forecast about a rain rock, the octopus that cleaned out the shrimp pots, being with family and friends as they catch their prizes, and the camp cooking than personally catching ten trophies.

Your photos capture and remind me of the intangibles associated with the private and more personal trips (whether hunting with family or friends). Once again ... thanks for sharing!

Great write up! Where'd he move up from? He must be staying now, huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Great write up! Where'd he move up from? He must be staying now, huh?!

He was living near Austin Texas,, and yes I think Alaska has him in her grip.
    Founding Member

Well done, Steve. Looks like another super fab trip!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    He was living near Austin Texas,, and yes I think Alaska has him in her grip.
    Haha. Hooked the fishin' line! I'm workin' on my dad now

Awesome !!!...Thanks for sharing another great Adventure, pics of the food makes me hungery for sure. Looking forward on hearing about more hunts with you and your boy.

As always incredible write up and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Now I'm really missing AK.

Stid.....Is this a pic from another hunt, as I seem to remember it from awhile back.......or are you just now posting all the rest of the pics from the same hunt? Sure looked like one hell of a great time...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Once back at camp, I decided to let the young guns make dinner while I sipped on a Crown on glacier ice and baked a cake in my dutch oven.
    Well now you're just plain showin' off...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Stid.....Is this a pic from another hunt, as I seem to remember it from awhile back.......or are you just now posting all the rest of the pics from the same hunt? Sure looked like one hell of a great time...!!!
    Same hunt, I just posted a few pics of him skinning his bear in the sub forum. I really like that photo, so I used it again. He is much more handsome than I.
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast