Thread: Nabesna River vs. White River

Default Nabesna River vs. White River

In late August, I will (hopefully) start my solo hike from McCarthy. After reaching Skolai, I will have to decide whether I float the White River to Canada or, alternatively, continue via Chisana and then float the Nabesna to Northway.

I learned from this helpful forum that the Nabesna river is not good for hunting (anymore) and that it may not be ideal for canoes or big rafts (due to low water levels). However, this does not seem highly relevant for me because I will use a small packraft. What I would like to know is (i) whether the Nabesna river/area is beautiful, (ii) whether the lower part of the river may be a bit boring, (iii) whether the lower part of the river is so slow that I will not make good progress in case of opposing winds and (iv) whether the Nabesna river is a bit crowded because too many people have discovered this area.

By contrast, I found next to nothing re the White River. One person talked about beautiful views. Moreover, there seem to be two canyons along the way. (I will probably have to walk around the first canyon because it's too dangerous for solo rafting.) Apart from that, I have no clue whether the White River might be a good alternative.

I would be grateful for any hints.

the white will feel more remote because no airboats or motorboat traffic. the logistics will complicated because of the canada border, so do your homework on someone willing to transport you back in to Alaska.

The nabesna is very suitable for whitewater rafts, big standing waves and usually lots of water even at low stage. Expect to see motorboat traffic.

haven't hunted the white though, so no help here for that option. The nebesna has seen it's better days for hunting.

larry

Many thanks, Larry.