Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the Alaska Ham Radio forum???

Default Where's the Alaska Ham Radio forum???

Feeling a little left out, figured the sat phone users were the closest thing to kindred spirits I'd find here.

Why no ham radio forum, not enough hams?

Anyone ever use their ham radio from their remote cabin or fly-in hunt/fish trip? Any tips on mastering Morse Code? Anyone ever used the Alaska Emergency Frequency on 60 meters?

Hey, it worked for psychsurf. He asked for a surfer forum and got one,
    so I thought I'd ask for a ham radio forum. I would even moderate it. (Ham radio is mostly a self policing group anyway.)

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ng-forum/page2

BP51dc (
    Maidenhead Grid Square)

PS: Forum moderators, I'd settle for a remote area communications page that would encompass ham radio, sat phones, FRS/GMRS, EPIRBs/ELTs/PLBs, air band, marine band, Citizen Band (CB), SWL, field telephones, and carrier pigeons.

Last edited by Brian M; 08-01-2012 at 20:44.

well if you ever make it to the valley I sure could use help trying to figure out why I am having problems recieving anything on my hf radio

Many years ago I was told by several hams that came up from state. The ham community in the states were very helpful in getting a person on the air. When they came to S.C. the local ham clubs did not seam to want to help. Why the difference in attitude I never was told.

That was a long time ago maybe thing are difference now. Have you tried going to the local club and asking for help.

I have had a couple folks try to explain things to me but with my learning curve hands on is much easier to understand

I feel your pain.

I do not believe it possible to explains how to set up a hf radio to a person who has never done it. Your problem could be as simple as having a switch in the wrong position. You need to have someone
    come out and look at your station and go through it step by step. How you are going to do that I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I feel your pain.

I do not believe it possible to explains how to set up a hf radio to a person who has never done it. Your problem could be as simple as having a switch in the wrong position. You need to have someone
    come out and look at your station and go through it step by step. How you are going to do that I do not know.
    A few years ago I might have agreed with you. Today with digital picture posting or u tube you can actually see what you have to deal with. and how the antenna is set up.
    ak47 post pictures and I will try to help.
    dennis

Glad there are other hams on here. The ham radio community in the Anchorage area can be pretty helpful and outgoing; you just have to meet the right people, with the right knowledge, at the right time. Hams in Anchorage have loaned me HF radios, antennas, etc. We just finished a VHF contest where three of us pooled all of our equipment and were able to set up a pretty impressive mobile station that we moved from Anchorage to Talkeetna and back.

Setting up an HF radio can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. A basic morse code and side band voice with a dipole antenna is probably the simplest way to go, or you can build a high power station with amps, digital transmission capacity via a computer interface with computer control of the radio, directional antennas on high masts etc etc.

If you tell me what you're trying to accomplish and what your issue is, I'll try to offer some advice. You said you're in the valley; have you been to the MARA Club meetings at the fire station yet? SOmeone there is closer by and probably willing to help.

HOH-LEE CRAP!!!! The newest issue of QST (ham radio magazine) is out. I direct your attention to pages 84 and 87. I won FIRST PLACE IN THE NORTHWEST DIVISION (that's the states of Alaska, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon) for Single Operator Portable class, in addition to third place overall for all of Alaska, and 10th place in the nation for Single Op Portable.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-01-2012 at 20:44.

very cool what did you win

CQ CQ.....de WL7CMG.......QRZ?......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    very cool what did you win
    I'll get a certificate for each, but it usually takes a year, lol. The guys who last June's contest, just received their certificates last week. It's a mostly volunteer effort, and their are thousands of entries that have to be sorted, so it takes a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    CQ CQ.....de WL7CMG.......QRZ?......

Do you carry a ham radio with you on your hunts or trips into the back country?
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-01-2012 at 20:43.

Nope.....never have. Only VHF I ever used remotely was aircraft band while guiding....

Yeah my VHF ham radio (handheld) is broken and transmits on airband for some reason. I started a thread last month in the bush flying forum about common frequencies used while flying over remote areas.

You know there is an HF band AK emergency frequency that I think is monitored by the rescue coordination center. Some of the Yaesu portable/mobil radios have it.

VHF aircraft frequency/radios use AM modulation. The last time I look at a ham radio hand held they did not have AM only FM modulation. If you modified your radio to work on aircraft frequency and it not working that may be why.

Actually, mine does have an AM transmitter in it, as well as FM. A lot of older ham radios (especially tube types) were AM transmitters. You're correct though, most hand held VHF radios are FM, full carrier transmitters.

PS: I sent you a PM.

Thought I would show the setup. Took many years of buying and selling gear to end up with this. Part of the fun for sure. Let me know if anybody wants to sked....

Kenwood TS-950 SDX, Palstar Tuner, AL-80A amp, Heil PR-40 Mic, W2IHY 8 bad EQ/Noise gate...

Lightning Bolt 2 el/5 band Quad @ 50'. Also run a 1500' loop for the low bands...

Nice set-up 4merguide. And nice tower. I'll post some photos of mine in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Nice set-up 4merguide. And nice tower. I'll post some photos of mine in a bit.
    Well.....the tower ain't much but the Lightning Bolt is a thing of beauty....!!!.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well.....the tower ain't much but the Lightning Bolt is a thing of beauty....!!!.......lol
    LOL. MY tower, is a back pack portable (barely) 10' Buddipole mast and tripod. I set it up in the spare room in the winter, which is my son's bedroom in the summer. All of my stuff is QRP and backpackable. (Sort of. The mast and tripod are pretty bulky.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast