Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids first rifle

Default Kids first rifle

I just started shopping for my son's first rifle. He is learning alot with his .22 single shot. My partner is 7 and I would like to get him a chance for a deer. I am looking for a bolt action, or single shot, on a make and model rifle to fit a small body. Is there a stock manufacturer that makes a stock that can grow as the kid does?

I am looking for anybody's two cents who has been successful getting their kid a rifle that fits them and works on deer.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

This stock might be something to look into it helps reduce recoil and adjusts length of pull. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rif...ck,218,166.htm
    If cant find anything else I would look into an AR platform with an adjustable buttstock even though you werent looking for a semi auto it seems to work well with kids.

If Rossi is an option for you there is this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...utm_medium=cse

Just realized sportsmans guide wont ship that to Alaska but Amazon has them for 49.99 with free shipping.

salvage youth 11FYCAK in 243. These can be harder to find but I got my daughter one. They have a muzzle break that you can turn on and off. Worked out fantastic for her.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

If want to just browse for ideas try Galleryofguns.com they have ways to select just youth guns.

First... Kudo's to you on teaching your son about firearms and bringing him out to shoot. It brings me back more than 30 years when my dad taught me. Back to your question. I've heard some really good things about the Remington Model Seven. It's chambered in .223 and .243 (also 7mm-08, .260 and .308 which would be too much for a 7 yr old) and it's over 2" shorter than the Remington 700. The purpose of this rifle is to fit smaller adults, women and kids. It is a bolt action and it is very accurate. The MSRP on this is around $700 brand new (synthetic), but you might be able to find a used one for a little less. Good luck and have fun!!!

I have set my little guys up on an AR platform chambered in 6.8SPC with a 6 position stock and rubber buttpad. All 3 of my sons shoot it ages 5 to 10 and it works great for me too! Only downfall is there is limited ammo availability but hornady has 3 factory loads that cover the spectrum pretty good. It would be nice if a big manufacturer would pick up a 110 accubonds or 95 TTSX load for it though. I handload both of those for hunting caribou and Black bear.

Steyr makes a safe bolt system rifle with an stock that has built in spacers. I got a good deal on one in 7mm-08 for my daughters and one has taken caribou and wolf with it. I took the spacer out when they were younger and put it in as they grew. Another option might be a used Remington 788. The factory stocks are not much to look at so cutting one down is not a problem and replacement stocks can be had as he grows.

Do you reload? If you do, get him a 7-08 or 308 & don't look back. Both can be relaoded to approximate the recoil/blast levels of a 223. For bench work & general practice, he'll become acclimated to the low recoil level when he shoots & won't notice the higher kick of hunting loads when shooting at game. I started both of my kids on a 280 Rem at around that age & it works. The 260 Rem would also fall into that group. Anything with a wood stock can be adjusted for "length of pull" and the cut piece saved for reattachment as he grows. Or just get a synthetic stock for use later. Although I know that many deer have been killed with a 223 (even a 22 LR), I'd be very leery of starting a kid with a rifle that is so marginal (in most hands) for use on a deer sized game.

Check out cheaperthandirt.com or budsgunshop.com. That's where i order most of mine. I got my daughter a marlin youth 7mm-08 for about $350 shipped. I would be a little leary about the savage youth, they have a slow twist rate if you plan on shooting heavier bullets later. There twist is 1-11, thats why i went with the marlin, 1-9 twist so when she can shoot a heavier load there are better options for bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay particular attention to LOP... many "youth" rifles still have a stock too long for the average 7yo. to get close enough to the scope, even one with good eye relief.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the info. Gives me lots to look at. I like the idea of the 7mm-08 and reloading. That way in a couple of years, or a good growth spurt I can load a better bullet and more punch for moose. I also like the idea of a "throw down" wooden stock to cut up now to get the right lenght of pull, and then refit it with a synthetic down the road. Call me old fashioned, but I want my guys to learn on open sights first. It will make them better marksmen and better hunters in the long run.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
    Thanks for the info. Gives me lots to look at. I like the idea of the 7mm-08 and reloading. That way in a couple of years, or a good growth spurt I can load a better bullet and more punch for moose. I also like the idea of a "throw down" wooden stock to cut up now to get the right lenght of pull, and then refit it with a synthetic down the road. Call me old fashioned, but I want my guys to learn on open sights first. It will make them better marksmen and better hunters in the long run.
    Your idea to start them on open sights may or may not work as you plan. Kids (or anyone new to a sport, for that matter) WANT to see RESULTS - right away. The problem I see with starting on open sights is that's its a lot for a 7 year old to concentrate on, What with breathing, squeezing the trigger, keeping his head on the stock, etc. Kids need to have fun when they start a new activity and in this case it means hitting the target, can, watermelon, whatever right away. I'd urge you to start them with a scope on low power, at close, large targets; when they start shooting the centerfire. Let them try a 22 with open sights after they realize that this shooting thing is something they CAN do.
    Check out a Speer loading manuel - they give reduced loads for a lot of different cartridges. Reducing a load below the recommended starting load is something you DO NOT want to do, with smokeless powders.

I donít know how many times I see kids with their broken game boys, donít take care of their bike, leave the tools outside (oh, Iím speaking about myself), so I question if they would treat a firearm differently. I will say that parents know a good deal about their kids. My father knew such a tool at that age wasnít the best for us. I didnít get my first rifle until the age of 8. We shot a lot of bb guns and 22ís at that age Ö so a large caliber rifle is indeed a special gift. Itís encouraging to know that some of the next generation is more mature.

As for a rifle, what game is he interested in? What kind of rifles does he find interesting?

I like the open sight idea. My dadís guns had open or peep sights. Those rifles shoot well enough. Looking back through the years, I think we were poor and couldnít afford scopesÖ but then our rifles werenít drilled to have scopes mounted and we would never have dreamed of taking 200 yard shots at moose/caribou (not saying you would). Gary has some good ideas about a 22, so I assume youíve passed through that phase already. To me, it is more important that he learn gun safety Ö and how to take good care of the firearm than starting him out with scoped stainless this and that. Iím probably biased in that respect due to the fact that I worked so as to buy my first used rifle whereas my brother was handed down a rifle. As for his hand me downÖ itís now one of the true gems that I own.

I have plenty of scoped rifles and they function as equipped. Ö however, I have several open sighted rifles that get the job done.

If it were me, Iíd assign him to grouse patrol and get him a 410 or 22 or similar. If he needs to shoot big game Ö let him borrow yours and build memories/experiences of a future hand me down.

243...different loads can be worked up..got mine when I was 6. I remember the stock looking funny and nothing compared to what they look lik now..way before synthetics. Dad had some wood cutting experience..lol

Just my 2cents..but I do like the 7mm-08 and have seen youngsters do very will with it.

BLUF..you are doing what a Dad should do..getting him off the computers, electronics and spending quality time by putting him in the woods, and exploring options. Great job!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I taught my girls, then 7 and 9, on a .22 single shot how to use open sights. They got fairly good at it before we put a scope on it and eventual;ly moved up to the 7mm-08. It worked becasue my youngest daughter "lettered" all fouir years on the Dimond Rifle Team using the peep sights. I sort of disagree with just letting him use your rifle, it won't fit and that may result in a uncomfortable experience.

Got my kids a Savage youth modle in 7mm-08....they do well with it. They are 11 and 7.

my seven year old is average height and stalky build, very strong kid, and youth models are still to long. If you can cut a bit off the stalk, it will fit much better now, but may be too short very soon. I would look for an inexpensive pre-owned rifle and cut it down to fit. As much as I love the 7mm-08, it's still a tad much for 7 yr. old, unless he's really seasoned. My son is all about hunting and shooting, and at 7 1/2 yrs and 65 lbs., even 120 grn 7mm-08 was just a little much at the range. Dropped him down to a 6mm, and the Kodiak deer population had a new problem. There seems to be a fine line at that age with muzzle blast and recoil. I have to say that a 243/6mm is the best choice at that age. Get the 7mm-08 when he is 12 and that will last until he buys his own, which at that point may be never.

We are curretly spending some good times at the range with a cut down .22lr (open sights). We live in Southeast and I am looking to find him a little forked horn. He loves to hear my hunting stories and is not afraid of the ducks, or even the wolf that I brought home. Just want to keep him excited. That being said, unless we find a rifle soon, he will be following me and learning. He needs a bit of work at the range. I am still looking for his first rifle. It may not be this year, but it will be good to have it for practice and to keep the carrot out in front of his nose. There just has to be a better rifle than the 30-30 lever gun I took my first deer with.

Thanks for all the input guys. It is great to hear about 7 year olds having success in the field!!!

It all makes me proud to be a dad, especially today.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
    I I am looking for a bolt action, or single shot, on a make and model rifle to fit a small body. Is there a stock manufacturer that makes a stock that can grow as the kid does?
    The Weatherby Vanguard Youth.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast