Thread: speer grand slam performance

Default speer grand slam performance

I got a box if .338 250gr grand slams from a friend of mine to try out in my 338-06. After doing some load work I got the rifle to shoot .75 groups at a hundred yards at a max load with Rl-19. I chrno'ed this load at about 2548fps. I was thinking about making this my 300 yard and closer moose load and bear load. I just havd no experence with these bullets and was wondering if anyone has any reviews/ performance results pushing these bullets at these speeds. Any insight would be great.

No experience with the .338 model, but they've been stellar performers on game for me in .284, .308 and .375.

I've had really good luck using them in the 140 grain version out of my 264 win mag. Always seem to perform really well.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I've had great experiences with the 180 grainers from a 300 Win and the same 250 grain .338's of which you speak on elk. If my current 338 Win shot them well, I'd still be using them. Elk were taken 100-300 yards with complete pass through's with shots behind the shoulders and quartering shots that exited through the off-side shoulder. I would definitely recommend them to anyone interested in them.

They are a tough bullet designed for magnum speeds, so in your '06 they should hold together VERY well and penetrate deeply, even through bone.

Put me down as another satisfied user, although not too recently 10-12yrs ago. I used to shoot them out of my 260 before I started handloading and when Speer still had the old Nitrex line of ammo. I shot the 140gr version and always had great accuracy and an exit hole, shot a nice whitetail buck one fall in the front of the chest at about 100yds, the bullet cut 3" off of his tail upon exit and may still be in orbit. My dad also used the Grandslam for years in his 270, 130 grainers and had nothing but great luck. Dad did have occasion to recover one bullet though, when he chose to use the 130GS instead of his usual 150 partitions for elk, he picked a very nicely opened bullet from under the offside hide on a very dead cow elk.

Good bullets and relatively cheap, I bet you'll be impressed if you try them on game.

Only used them on one moose and it was in the early 80's. It was a small bull at about 25 yards and I shot him in the forehead, down he went. The bullet did not exit and I could almost stick my fist in the entrance hole. Similar shot at about 60 yards with a 225 grain Barnes X passed through. This was with my .338. I heard they changed the design later.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I got a box if .338 250gr grand slams from a friend of mine to try out in my 338-06. After doing some load work I got the rifle to shoot .75 groups at a hundred yards at a max load with Rl-19. I chrno'ed this load at about 2548fps. I was thinking about making this my 300 yard and closer moose load and bear load. I just havd no experence with these bullets and was wondering if anyone has any reviews/ performance results pushing these bullets at these speeds. Any insight would be great.
    Like some other posters I've used their smaller cousins, 165 grain .308, 140 grain .284 and 130 grain .277, but never used the .338 Grand Slam. Performance was all I expected and that's what you're going to get with a 250 grain cup/core bullet in the 338/06--a very dead bear or moose. When using a 338/06 class cartridge at ranges under 300 yards it is difficult to make a bad decision with bullet selection.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Shot a bull moose with a 270gr Grand Slam in my 375 years ago at about 80 yards. Complete pass-through leaving nearly a half-dollar size exit hole in the rib cage. At the shot it "froze" for a few seconds, then collapsed in it's tracks without taking a single step. I think they're good bullets.
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

My buddie has nailed a few moose with his 338 and that Grand Slam. It will work well.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

swapdonkey - I think you have a "consensus" ...... add this one: in the late 80's/early 90's several of us used them in identical 7mm wildcats based on a necked down 300 win mag case (160's) and had quite a string of one shot kills on elk and out to some pretty "impressive" ranges too - ONE tough bullet

I think the GS is a great bullet. Also budget priced compared with most so called premium bullets today. I've used them for elk several times 250 grain 338 and on mulies in my 7mm and 30-06. Never a failure of any kind. Not always the most accurate bullet but seems you have the right combo for your rifle.
    Mike

250gr to heavy for 338-06

suggest 225 or 210gr and RL 17

best trajectory with 225gr bullets at 2700 FPS in 24"

61.0. @ RL17
    WW brass
    WLRM primer
    225 gr SP
    Alaska

nope.....not heavy at all really. in the ranges both I and my nephew did at "moose" range they were excellent performers. I killed a nice 5 yr. old with a Horn. 250 RN in my Rem. Model 30 and my Nephew used the Sierra 250. his Win Model 70, puts the boots to them nicely. I won't use a lighter bullet and he too chooses to do the same.