Thread: Inserts in Pixie spoons

Default Inserts in Pixie spoons

Hey guys,
    Last season I had a lot of problems with the plastic inserts, in Pixies, coming out. Did any of you have that problem and did you find a solution for keeping them in place?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Those "egg" inserts have been doing that mysterious disappearing act for me for the past four decades.

It's a marketing strategy to keep us buying more.

The only way to stop it is preventative steps... checking for loosening/misalignment after a slappy cast onto the water or hitting rocks/boat hull on the backcast, and checking after landing every fish.

The doughnut version of the enigmatically popular spoon is pretty much worthless.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default The Pixie

Charlie,

I fish with Pixies in the salt and in freshwater and have never had one come apart. Your Pixies must have been made on a Monday or a Friday at the Pixie factory. I like the plain green ones with the silver blade. Tried many of their wacky colors, but always do best with green. The quintessential lure.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hey guys,
    Last season I had a lot of problems with the plastic inserts, in Pixies, coming out. Did any of you have that problem and did you find a solution for keeping them in place?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Must be operator error. I've never in my life had a Pixie insert fall out from normal use. However, I have seen the cheap knock-off styles with glue-on "inserts" fall off after just one cast. If it ain't a Blue Fox, don't buy it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Charlie,

I fish with Pixies in the salt and in freshwater and have never had one come apart. Your Pixies must have been made on a Monday or a Friday at the Pixie factory. I like the plain green ones with the silver blade. Tried many of their wacky colors, but always do best with green. The quintessential lure.
    Seems like the majority of fish caught on a pixie for me was with a green one as well. That was my go to color when fishing pixies.

I have never had one fall out either. I don't use the a lot but still you have to pry pretty hard to get one out.
    A friend of mine says they work pretty good as a snagging hook in saltwater with the center popped out when you don't have any snagging hooks. This is for saltwater redes or terminal king fisheries open to snagging. I haven't tried it myself.
    Would the glow crazy pixie insert fit a standard pixie?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've had 2 inserts fall out over the years, one I found and popped back in, the other I still have the spoon somewhere but like an earlier poster said, it is awefull by itself.

I generally loose them way before they can come apart I think.