Thread: Thinking about a stomp grate. Who, What, When, Where in AK

Default Thinking about a stomp grate. Who, What, When, Where in AK

I want to get a stomp grate for my grayling. Where do you think I should get one? I can do the work myself, just want some know some info on where to get one for the best price.

Longkj

I got to ask....
    What's a stomp grate?
    I'm thinking, grating to clean your boots off on.

Not trying to be a wise guy , just never heard of one.

I have heard that Greatland welding sells them in the Valley. Ketchum is the original manufacturer of them down in Idaho I believe and theirs are supposedly made out of a different steel, not sure if it is worth the extra money or not.

Whatever brand you chose is well worth the money in my mind. I mostly use mine when I am running it in the ocean but have had to use it a couple of times in the rivers when I bumped a gravel bar or sucked some sticks or hooligan up.

Stomp grate is for an inboard jet to that allows you to clean the crap out of your intake by "stomping" on a bar that pushes half your grate down, allowing the crap to fall out.

Most local dealers have them, pretty easy to install. Not sure the best place for price but always check the internet before you buy

Keith, Talk to Gary at Greatland. If he can't do it,I'm sure he will know who can or where to get one...
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I got mine from stompgrate.com . They had good service and even called me back to take measurements of the bolt holes to make sure they sent the right one.

After running it a year, it is great for rocks, but I still have to pull the willows out by hand that get wrapped around the shaft from time to time.

A stomp grate is like American Express. Dont leave the trailer without one. Both of mine are Ketchum stomp grates. Yes thats right both of them, and yes there is a story behind that. Got them from Reeds in Fairbanks....
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Stomp grate is for an inboard jet to that allows you to clean the crap out of your intake by "stomping" on a bar that pushes half your grate down, allowing the crap to fall out.

Most local dealers have them, pretty easy to install. Not sure the best place for price but always check the internet before you buy

Thank you for the explanation.

Thanks for the info guys. I need to get one bad. Last year I spent 2.5 hours getting seaweed out of my grate in the middle of wells passage. Good thing it was a nice day and I had a kicker.

Rob, I will call greatland this week.

Thanks again for the info!

LongKJ

Go see Ben at silver streak.

LongKJ, I have heard that the stomp grates don't do the best with sea weed. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. I have spent many hours floating around PWS with everyone in the bow, trying to fish out sea weed. I found that a small boning saw works great most of the time. Last year I spent the better part of two hours cleaning out the jet and almost gave up to dry dock it but finally got it free.

Jimw, would love to hear a good story

I was recently in PWS hunting and the stomp grate was a god send for me. A couple of stomps on the grate, the salad came out and we were back on our way. Did clean it all out, probably not. Enough to get back under way and cruising just fine.

Ok the story, I will keep it short, running class 3-4 white water and 4 foot hay stacks. Missed judged the landing coming down the wave train. Ran out of water, a rock must have hit dead center on the stomp grate. Sheared the bolt heads off and lost
    The steering when the grate folded back and the stomp rod that go through the swim platform held the grate against the nozzle. Not good
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

The stomp grates work wonders on the seaweed and whatever else you suck up in the ocean. The key with a stomp grate is shutting down your engine before stomping it. DO NOT STOMP IT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!!!

Great point Rob!!!!
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Call Silver Streak boats in Anchorage his price was good will even install.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    Great point Rob!!!!
    In case you were wondering yes I did stomp it while the engine was running and there is no mistaking the noise impellers make when they chop up rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I got mine from stompgrate.com . They had good service and even called me back to take measurements of the bolt holes to make sure they sent the right one.

After running it a year, it is great for rocks, but I still have to pull the willows out by hand that get wrapped around the shaft from time to time.

http://www.stompgrate.com/ These work great. If you go through a third party the price is a little more............ they will tack on profit and handling charges.... Just part of business.