Thread: oct kenai

Default oct kenai

hey all
    I get out of the army in mid october with two months of paid leave. Im thinking of floating the upper kenai for some nice dollys and rainbows around that time. Im just looking for some info as far what to expect from the river. water level ext ..... thanks

River level all depends on weather but usually it is fairly low (1,500-2,500 cfs) come October.
    But there can always be heavy rains or other enviromental influences that change things.
    Last year the river was high well into October. But just because it's high doesn't mean you won't catch fish especially if you have a boat.

You do have to adjust your tactics though as the fish hold in different places when it's high.

ill be floating it in my cat, I was thinking from sportsmans to jims, the big question is are the rainbows still on fire that time of year?

A buddy and I rafted October 28th last year. The water was dirty and high and it was a very cold day. We only caught one that day and it was almost to the end of our float. It was still fun. It was VERY cold and windy. The wind just made it colder and more miserable.

Guys get all spun up on flesh flies and egg patterns that time of year. But do yourself a favor and add a beadhead nymph on a dropper, probably a Hare's Ear in #10 or #12, and see what happens. Some days the flesh fly or egg pattern will outproduce, but especially when the water is clearer, you'll be very pleasantly surprised by that nymph.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    But do yourself a favor and add a beadhead nymph on a dropper, probably a Hare's Ear in #10 or #12, and see what happens.
    I thought the upper Kenai was:

• Only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.

Am I mistaken?

I thought so too, but I didn't figure he was going to be up there. If he is, I'd leave off the flesh fly if it wasn't producing right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I thought so too, but I didn't figure he was going to be up there. If he is, I'd leave off the flesh fly if it wasn't producing right away.
    Where do you think "Sportsmans to Jims Landing" is located?
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Im thinking of floating the upper kenai
    Better yet, where doe he think 'the upper Kenai' is?

OP, you might want to explore options that have you fishing the middle river during mid October. I have heard many great things about that section in mid October. Been wanting to fish it myself in October, but been spending time with the Fishapalooza crowd on the upper during September these last few years.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    OP, you might want to explore options that have you fishing the middle river during mid October. I have heard many great things about that section in mid October. Been wanting to fish it myself in October, but been spending time with the Fishapalooza crowd on the upper during September these last few years.

-Dan
    are you kidding????? fishing in oct is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! Dan you know better then to say such things!

Whats the name of the launch on the Middle River? We fished there last year in early-mid Sept and did pretty good with Beads on Bows.

so sportsmans to jims isnt the upper? i thought every thing below bings was the middle?, but change of plans me and a few friends are going to be hitting it the first or second week of sept. fishing should be good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    so sportsmans to jims isnt the upper? i thought every thing below bings was the middle?, but change of plans me and a few friends are going to be hitting it the first or second week of sept. fishing should be good :-)
    It is the upper, the outlet of skilak down is the middle. What point splits the middle from lower I have no idea.

The "upper river" is Kenai Lk to Skilak Lk, so Sportsman's to Jim's IS part of the upper.

Stop by the Russian River Campground. Fishapalooza will going on during that time. Myself and others will be there. Floating sportsmans to Jim's each day. We shuttle together and leap frog down river, sharing the ocassional beverage on larger gravel bars. Beer and campfire conversation each evening. A very casual get together of forum members. I will be there Sept 8-14. Do drop in.

Which reminds me...

Chuck, about time for the official Palooza thread, eh??

The "upper" has three sections. Kenai lake to sportsmans. Sportsmans to Jim's. Jim's to Skilak Lake (canyon). Most folks fish sportsmans to Jim's. The canyon has some rapids and requires towing across a few miles of lake.

Dan

Just check in or start another post just prior to your trip. Folks on here will have the fishery dialed in.