Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fish the Klutina River?

Default How to fish the Klutina River?

Just curious, I'd like to stop there the next time I hit chitna and dip nothing. Just flip fly's? Any particular fly/weight/rig set up?

Typical flippin rig works great. I was using a 40 inch leader with 2 big split shots and a size 3/0 hook with a small corkie above it. Absolutely slaughtered em, as always

Not much to it. Few different size split shots swivels yarn and extra spool of line for leader..... Fish on!! Have fun. That area is single hook so no flys like the Russian if I'm not mistaking.

I use 2/0 or 3/0 hooks, Glow Yarn, 1/4in solid core lead, size 2 crossline swivels. I make a leader about 2 arms lengths and tie the hook on. Before i cinch the knot i run the yarn through it. Make sure the yarn isn't so long that it touches the hook. At the other end i tie on the swivel. Get a pair of pliers to punch a hole in the lead and cut it from the roll. LeadMaster Pro Guide 6" Standard pliers are about $15. Cut about 2" of lead off the roll and flatten one end and then punch the hole through it. Then i cut a piece of line about 6" long, form a bite and tie a knot in it. Then i run it through the hole and back through itself to form a loop. I use this to attach it to the bottom loop on the swivel then tie the line to the other end of the swivel. This all makes for quick changes if you lose a weight or a leader. Pics to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully these help explain what I was talking about.

This is the setup that I use when fishing the Klutina and it's never let me down. Some people might tell you to use different colors of yarn but honestly I don't think it matters at all.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks for sharing these pics! I have used a very similar setup with the lead cinch rubber tube and 3-way, but using your system you can save money by not buying the tubes. Do you notice your weight getting hung up much at the top flattened portion? I have always liked pencil lead because it doesn't get hung up nearly as much as split shot or egg weights.

I havent noticed it get hung up any more or any less. I'll usually cut different lengths of lead also so i can change them out if i need more or less weight. Either that or sometimes i'll buy a roll of smaller lead and crimp on another piece if needed.

That loop on the lead in the pic is actually a bit longer that what i normally use. I'll tie them shorter and then bend the lead to get it through the smaller loop.

Very nice AKHunter. I have been using those lead pliers for 15 years and love them. They really are a money saver. Nice pics.

Thanks, i used to use the surgical tubing but it was more of a PITA. This setup works really well and it's quick to tie new gear on. I usually keep a few rigs on me so i dont have to get off the river and lose my spot.

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone! NP, great pics and explination!

Thanks again, maybe see some of you down there.

AKHunterNP is spot on with his info and photos! great info!

The only thing I would add is you can avoid having to use weight if you use a flyrod with a super fast sink chuck&duck line. I have a reel set up with this super fast line and it prevents getting the snags on the weight.

I concur...yarn color makes no difference. Your flossing the fish nothing more.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Another way of doing this without all of the clutter is to use hollow core lead. The rear portion of those pliers is for cutting the hollow core lead and still leaving it open for you to feed your line through. You simply cut your lead at the needed length, slide it up your line and pinch it into place, leaving your preferred leader length. Then you tie on your hook and call it good.

I have seen many people use this technique but for myself I prefer the method that AKHunter uses. With the hollow core lead you can't add or subtract weight without cutting your hook off. Also, you have to be very careful of your line getting brittle where you are pinching the hollow core weight in place. The other downfall is that if your weight gets caught into the rocks then you lose everything. ~907

I just use the same set up as on the russian and do not have any issues.

Never flipped for reds before, but I like a little pencil-lead trick that I use with kings....three way swivel, very small rubber band through drop down eye of swivel, double it and run lead through the two loops in rubber band and pinch with pliers. Done. Rubber band breaks and saves your gear on lead snags.

AKHunterNP, thanks for the description and pics. I really appreaciate people like yourself on this forum that are willing to impart knowledge with the rest of us that are genuinely trying but keep coming up short. Kudos. And thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Another way of doing this without all of the clutter is to use hollow core lead. The rear portion of those pliers is for cutting the hollow core lead and still leaving it open for you to feed your line through. You simply cut your lead at the needed length, slide it up your line and pinch it into place, leaving your preferred leader length. Then you tie on your hook and call it good.

I have seen many people use this technique but for myself I prefer the method that AKHunter uses. With the hollow core lead you can't add or subtract weight without cutting your hook off. Also, you have to be very careful of your line getting brittle where you are pinching the hollow core weight in place. The other downfall is that if your weight gets caught into the rocks then you lose everything. ~907
    Use a three way swivel and tie a piece of line on the third leg where AKhunter does. Slide the hollow core lead onto this line and crimp. This way if the lead gets caught it should slide off the line without losing the rest of your gear. That's how we always have done it with our okie drifters king fishing.

that'll work!! now you just have to put it to work n practice, what i do is paint a picture to what your feeling when your gear is bumping off the bottom!! rocks, sand, boulders, other gear broken off n stuck there, people....lol....n try using more or less weight. try to move away, in or out up or down river just to get around certain spots or obsticles............also i have found that dark color flies really help in clearer water cause its abit harder for them to c it coming until its too late.....whammm...fish on!! i have watched reds upper russian move out of the way as my bright orange, neon green.... fly is going down river trying to get a good hook n his mouth. just my 2 cents!! hope this helps some of you. happy fishing guys.

People keep on saying to wade out in the water. To all of you that have never been to the Klutina, don't venture out too far. The reds are in close. Most of the time there isn't even a need to get your feet wet. I have rescued more than one person from that river. Some people were never found. So to all of you that make that long drive up there, please be very careful. There is a very strong current. Please keep your eyes on your children especially. Make sure that you look up river from time to time just to make sure there aren't any trees headed your way.
    I will say it again, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. THE KLUTINA IS A BEAUTIFUL BUT DANGEROUS RIVER.

Good Luck ~907

I've used all these methods. One other one is to slide a small piece of surgical tubing onto your line, tie on your hook, slip the yarn in before you cinch the knot. Wet one end of the lead and slip it into the tubing from the hook end up. This way you can slide the lead up or down your line to adjust the leader length. It works pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast