Thread: Perry Island Oysters

Default Perry Island Oysters

BUMP ~ Brought over from AK Powerboating ~ Perry Island Oyster Farm is located in South Bay. Just hail Royalwave on 16. Picked up a couple dozen [decent sized] oysters yesterday.

G~Man need to clear out your PM box.

Ate some for dinner last night and while they were good, I don't think they're as good as K-Bay oysters Johnson's sells [used to sell] on the side of the road. This is a newer farm and the shell size was a little small [probably medium by market standard] but I was pleased to find about a half-dozen "extra" in our bag to make up for the smaller size. I hope this operation continues to improve as it matures. It was great to finally check this off our to-do list and Melisa and Terry seem like really nice people. I can see this becoming a regular part of our PWS experience. We've already made plans to pick some up on our way to Green Island forest service cabin later this month.

Meant to include this photo though there's no size reference to the oysters other than the fact ~ this is a full-sized grill.

Oysters.jpg

Are they easier to open if you grill them? I like them raw, but don't like chuckin them......i am not good at it.

I love oysters of all kinds ~ raw to Rockefeller to fried. Set on hot grill curved side down [convex] so the moisture doesn't run out. Almost all these popped open on their own ~ just need to watch & remove them [prob 7-8 minutes] before they dry out. I used an oyster knife at the hinge on 3 and they came right open. Dipped in cocktail sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Are they easier to open if you grill them? I like them raw, but don't like chuckin them......i am not good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Ate some for dinner last night and while they were good, I don't think they're as good as K-Bay oysters Johnson's sells [used to sell] on the side of the road. This is a newer farm and the shell size was a little small [probably medium by market standard] but I was pleased to find about a half-dozen "extra" in our bag to make up for the smaller size. I hope this operation continues to improve as it matures. It was great to finally check this off our to-do list and Melisa and Terry seem like really nice people. I can see this becoming a regular part of our PWS experience. We've already made plans to pick some up on our way to Green Island forest service cabin later this month.
    South Perry oyster farm has been there for at least 15 years. I have a long story about Dave and Susie Christmas time back then. Let's just say Susie was the happiest person I ever saw when I dropped Dave off. Got a bunch of oysters for my troubles and went back every year until the tunnel opened and I moved over to Seward.

Default Oyster Size?

Fish Witch,

What size oysters did they sell back then?

The current folks were very polite when I spoke to them about Raymond and last year not being able to get any oysters.
    They were explaining it's a lot of work and takes at least two years to get them to market size.

Unfortunately we didn't have a boat [or friend with one] back before the road opened.

I'm always interested in the good 'ol times...I can only imagine how desolate that place must be over the winter. We were suprised to see how big the house looked even from the barge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    South Perry oyster farm has been there for at least 15 years. I have a long story about Dave and Susie Christmas time back then. Let's just say Susie was the happiest person I ever saw when I dropped Dave off. Got a bunch of oysters for my troubles and went back every year until the tunnel opened and I moved over to Seward.

Charterboat Operator

the original owners of the oyster farm were the Comstocks, lots of stories from the people that knew them. original boat they worked was named the Perry, ALL CONCRETE!!!!

Funny you mention their boat ~ that's one thing that stuck out in my mind when they tendered the oysters from their barge out to our boat...that fiberglass boat they were using looked as though it'd been through a war. WoW! ~ lots fo history here...just ate the last of our fresh oysters tonight. Looking forward to our next trip 22-26 June and we're planning on picking up a bunch more to enjoy during our stay at the forest service cabin. Also made a fresh batch of wild mussels for lunch today ~ something I've always wanted to do...

Mussels.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    the original owners of the oyster farm were the Comstocks, lots of stories from the people that knew them. original boat they worked was named the Perry, ALL CONCRETE!!!!

How much do they get for a dozen oysters? How much for a bushel?

Do they have a phone number? I had the number last year for the guy that was working it on Perry. I talked to him couple times, but then no contact and I heard that he didn't have any oysters (something or other went wrong). Is it the same guy?

I ordered 2 dozen and was charged $30. There were at least 30 oysters in the bag when we got home. Like I said they were a little on the medium size [I think that's how they'd be classified]. Couldn't tell you about a bushel price as I am the only one eating them here so between 6 dozen mussels
    Mussels.jpgand a couple dozen oysters my work's cut out for me. Never asked about a phone number because I didn't think they had a phone out there.
    I believe you [me as well] may have dealt with Raymond last year and he said he got sick and had to leave. We wanted to get oysters but were told there were none available last summer.

The folks I met [Melissa and Terry] this year were really nice and said let everyone know they'll have oysters all summer.

How much do they get for a dozen oysters? How much for a bushel?

Do they have a phone number? I had the number last year for the guy that was working it on Perry. I talked to him couple times, but then no contact and I heard that he didn't have any oysters (something or other went wrong). Is it the same guy?

Yes - I was talking to Raymond last year - and actually left him a VM last night. I will just call up Terry and Malissa on the radio when we get out there. Royalwave - right?
    Last edited by Bullelkklr; 06-13-2012 at 17:24. Reason: mistake

Royalwave is correct. Myself and one other boat called in our order about 30 minutes in advance so they had time to get the oysters readied. Enjoy, we'll be picking up more on the 24th when we head out to Green Island forest service cabin.

Yes - I was talking to Raymond last year - and actually left him a VM last night. I will just call up Terry and Malissa on the radio when we get out there. Royalwave - right?

The oysters were medium size and real sweet. They told me the only problem with PWS oysters is they don't get enough wave action so the shells are soft. They gave us a tour of the place - quite a setup though much of the out buildings and facilities were way past their prime. There's a tidal grid for medium size boats in a lagoon behind the main house and a marine ways to haul boats up into a big boat barn. The old donkey engine no longer works and the rails are in bad shape so hasn't been used for quite some time. The main house was pretty big and in good shape. Dave used to call himself the King of Perry Island since they were the only residents. Pretty remote life in the winter. Susie was out there almost two weeks by herself when Dave's boat broke down in Whittier and I finally hauled him out there on our way out to the deer. Susie loved root beer and VHS tapes so a trade was made every summer for some oysters, mmm I can taste them now!

Royal Wave is what they answer to on VHF and think the owner ran the New Wave, a run down shrimp trawler, blue hull. Don't know his name. Dave and Susie ran it for him for a number of years but understood he was difficult to work for so they moved on to the oyster farm up behind Fairmont Is. I believe.

Awesome. Sounds like it used to be quite the opertaion with lots of options besides oysters.

Speaking of deer, I haven't seen even one after 10 days south of Culross.

The dogs found one winterkill carcass on Wilard Is in Blackstone. Otherwise, not so much as a track.

I think the deep winter snows took its toll on the deer population this past winter. We will head farther south next outing and will continue to look for some. While we were hopeful of harvesting a deer for meat this year, we are thinking about not molesting what few deer remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    The oysters were medium size and real sweet. They told me the only problem with PWS oysters is they don't get enough wave action so the shells are soft. They gave us a tour of the place - quite a setup though much of the out buildings and facilities were way past their prime. There's a tidal grid for medium size boats in a lagoon behind the main house and a marine ways to haul boats up into a big boat barn. The old donkey engine no longer works and the rails are in bad shape so hasn't been used for quite some time. The main house was pretty big and in good shape. Dave used to call himself the King of Perry Island since they were the only residents. Pretty remote life in the winter. Susie was out there almost two weeks by herself when Dave's boat broke down in Whittier and I finally hauled him out there on our way out to the deer. Susie loved root beer and VHS tapes so a trade was made every summer for some oysters, mmm I can taste them now!

Royal Wave is what they answer to on VHF and think the owner ran the New Wave, a run down shrimp trawler, blue hull. Don't know his name. Dave and Susie ran it for him for a number of years but understood he was difficult to work for so they moved on to the oyster farm up behind Fairmont Is. I believe.

We hailed 'Perry Island Oysters' on Saturday as we forgot the Royal Wave name. We pulled into the larger bay on the southside of perry and they met us in their skiff with a gunny sack full. We purchases 6 dozen and $15/doz . I am someone of a picky oyster eater, and I would rate them as a A+. Nice and small. Shucked on deck, and we ate a few dozen on board- and still took some home.

Check them out!

I spent the night in that cove Friday night and couldn't remember their call 1sign and didn't want to sound stupid calling for the oyster farmers on 16.

Couldn't get cell or Internet to look up this thread either. So much to learn and sounds like I missed out on some great oysters!! There is always next weekend!!

Very glad you liked them so much. We had a friend visit Homer over the weekend bring back some K-Bay oysters and shared with us. They were great but not as good as I rememberd so the Perry Island oysters get a plus 1 up! Can't wait to get some more and continue my taste test.

Quote Originally Posted by akseagirl View Post
    We hailed 'Perry Island Oysters' on Saturday as we forgot the Royal Wave name. We pulled into the larger bay on the southside of perry and they met us in their skiff with a gunny sack full. We purchases 6 dozen and $15/doz . I am someone of a picky oyster eater, and I would rate them as a A+. Nice and small. Shucked on deck, and we ate a few dozen on board- and still took some home.

Check them out!

We are the caretakers at Perry Island and we will respond to anything on the VHF radio that has Royal Wave,Perry Island or oyster farm in it.We saw a couple boats pull into the bay late in the evening and thought they may want oysters so we got up early the next mroning but no one called,sorry to have missed you hope you get to come back by sometime.