Thread: Help ID this fish

Default Help ID this fish

Hope someone can help me ID this fish. Often caught in shrimp pots and around rock piles.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Angle is funny, but on first pass I'd guess it's a greenling. A good sized one, though. The good news is that if it's a greenling, they're sensational eating. Biologically they're cousins of lingcod, and my book even better eating.

Thanks BB, that is what it was. Do they fall under the OTHER FINFISH regs??? What is the limit on them in PWS??
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Kelp greenling. We caught quite a number of them while trolling for silvers last year. Great eating.

One thing that I've always thought was neat about kelp greenling is the notably different coloration between the sexes. Males have bright blue spots on them while the females are a bit more mottled with some brown and red mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Angle is funny, but on first pass I'd guess it's a greenling. A good sized one, though. The good news is that if it's a greenling, they're sensational eating. Biologically they're cousins of lingcod, and my book even better eating.
    They sure are pretty. Whats 'normal' size on them?

Quite a range, but I don't think I've ever seen one over about 3#. I'd say average is closer to a pound or a little over.

Yep, a pound to a pound and a half matches the average I've seen as well.

Very pretty fish, have caught quite a few of them from shore in Seward over the years. They put up a good fight too.

I do have to disagree with others talking about how they are a delicacy, the only time I had tried greenling the flesh was mushy and very unflavorful. Don't know if it was due to being a brightly colored female that may have been spawning or what, but I sure as heck won't be putting one on the table again when other rockfish, butts, or lings are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    ...due to being a brightly colored female that may have been spawning or what....
    I wouldn't just red salmon by what they were like spawning either.

I like to eat them, but it takes several to make a good meal. The flesh has very fine grain, kind of like a sole you might get in a restaurant. Lightly fried or sauteed is a great option!