Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does your garden grow?

Default How does your garden grow?

Mine is trying to grow but it sure is slow.
    The green beans sprouted but have yet to do much.
    The zucs are waiting for some sun. Had 1 female bloom but no males so no pollen.
    The brassica are growing but not like normal.
    My garden wants some sunshine & over 50 degree nights.

Mine is doing ok.
    The outdoors annuals might be slightly slow but not much. Trees and bushes look good. I think I am going to get some apples for the first time. (2 year old plants)
    In the green house all is pretty normal. Though I have not had to open up the ventilation much, but it is still in the 80's during the day.

Slo-o-o-wly here as well. We live at about 1,500', so the cool temps are even more pronounced for our plants. Our carrots haven't even germinated, so we're deciding whether it is time to sow those seeds again. Everything else looks healthy, but stunted for this point in the season.

Same here. I bought everything (except potatos) as starters, and they have grown, just not much. My potatos are all coming up, and yesterday I noticed several little heads of broc. about nickle size.

Same here. Slow going so far with the cool temps. Potatoes are just starting to develop and shoot through the soil, broccoli are starting to form little heads, nothing on the cauliflower yet, cucumbers don't look to good (I never have much luck with them), peas and beans are just breaking through, no carrots yet. Onions look good, but they have been in since last year.

not drinking much water, that's for sure. cool season crops (cabbage, broccoli, greens) are superb, and I've been able to get out of town more than normal. I put about half the brassicas and greens in tunnels to warm things up substantially and propel some of the plants, so i get early and late cabbages, brocooli, brussels sprouts and greens for example.

I cover any row I direct seed into the soil with clear poly for 1 or two aftenroons when it's sunny to warm the soil. Not too long or you can fry the seed though on a hot afternoon.

First planting of carrots are up though, and peas are 1-3" tall, and all the winter squash and pumpkins are fantastic, though behind where i'd like them to be. Apples blooming about to open. Surprised how little I've had to water though, no water for the raspberries and strawberries and they're nearly in flower. I'm at just below 1000' elevation here, and the grass never really became a fire hazard here this spring. It never dried out enough, and we're even S facing, it's hardly been over 60 since early May. Thinking the heat will pick up in 2 weeks with the solstice, hopefully it lasts and provides some dry heat, enough of this humidity.

Garden is looking forward to it's dinner tonight of copper sockeye carcasses, to fertilize next years' squash. Hoping the cow and newborn moose hanging around the front steps don't try to push my fence too hard. I bet the peas are smelling good to them already.

My carrots sprouted back when we were getting a little sunshine, but they haven't grown much since. a few beans are sprouting but much slower than usual. Onions are looking great, but I covered them with visqueen to get warmed up and started. Peas are up and looking good, but not doing much growing. Brassicas seem to be about the only thing growing at present. Cucs are trying to blossom in the Green House, but really need more sun.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339612846.341839.jpg chard and cabbage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339612888.979258.jpg broccoli and Brussels. You can see one of the squash tunnels in the background.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339613018.280031.jpg apple blossoms just budding on this tree. Rows of carrots in background.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339613078.725371.jpg this apple blooms much earlier, some already pollinated and dying.

Here are my latest pictures. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and horseradish.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622306.941495.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622330.320956.jpg

And here are some of my apple blooms. Two years ago I got a fair number of apples from the two trees that I have. Last year I got tons of blooms and maybe two apples off of one tree.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622516.978471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622537.343526.jpg

Ugh. Anchorage weather in the Golden Heart city today... 47 degrees and rain
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

IMG_0958.jpgIMG_0959.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    And here are some of my apple blooms. Two years ago I got a fair number of apples from the two trees that I have. Last year I got tons of blooms and maybe two apples off of one tree.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622516.978471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339622537.343526.jpg
    Left to right
    Strawberries; beets, carrots; romaine lettuce, broccoli;
    2nd photo Lettuce & broccoli; turnips; onion seeds, leaf lettuce and onion and garlic starts
    Cabbage &n brussel sprouts theb Peas; visqueen covering snap beans then some more peas and radishes

at one time I had 3 apple trees, one produced a dozen yellow apples, one never produced anything and one produced about 6 apples.. the 6 apple tree is still alive but did not produce any blossoms this year (yet) the other two died - Have a crab apple tree in the front yard that produces beautiful blossoms, and extra small apples.. D**m'd moose keep nibbling on it.

Looking great John
    I may get some lettuce soon. radishes like the wet, maybe get a bunch of them soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

49 and pouring in Chugiak right now, Ugh, is right. Very nice gardens indeed gentlemen.

Whew, garden could hardly handle all that heat yesterday! Thankfully we're back to gray and 50 degrees.

LOL
    Carrots almost got their second leaves

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast