Thread: Silly question, how to buy my draw permit license/tag

Default Silly question, how to buy my draw permit license/tag

I drew a caribou permit, how do I go about purchasing the tag/license? Is there a deadline I must purchase it by? Can I do it online? I tried reading the draw supplement and could not fnd it. I also went to AK G&F website to try to buy the tag but I was not sure which one and did not want to buy the wrong one.

Also how do you buy a nondraw moose tag? I am a nonresident.

if you drew the permit, it will come in hte mail as a regular tag, along with a harvest report, other than that you just need your regular hunting licence, for the non draw moose, I dont know how to do it on the internet but you can just pick it up at any wal mart when you get here.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

The tags for 2012-2013 may not be available until the middle to late June of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I drew a caribou permit, how do I go about purchasing the tag/license?
    I assume you bought a license before applying for the draw tag application. Have you contacted the F&G? They would be the Authority having Jursidiction (AHJ).

Is there a deadline I must purchase it by?
    You'll need your tag prior to harvesting the animal, so that you can punch the tag immediately upon harvest of the animal.

Can I do it online?
    Have you contacted the F&G? They would be the Authority having Jurisdiction (AHJ).

Also how do you buy a nondraw moose tag? I am a nonresident.
    They can be purchased through the F&G or many local stores (Fred Meyer, Carrs, Sportsmen Warehouse, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    if you drew the permit, it will come in hte mail as a regular tag, along with a harvest report, other than that you just need your regular hunting licence, for the non draw moose, I dont know how to do it on the internet but you can just pick it up at any wal mart when you get here.
    With the cost of draw permit entries at $5 a piece for Caribou, and non resident caribou tags costing $325, I would assume that non resident draw tag recipients would be required to pay some more money before they could receive the tag/harvest report in the mail.

on the website go to the drawing permits webpage. Then review the FAQs. Question 13 has your answer for the drawing permit. You now have to buy a locking metal tag to cover your NR status. You can do that on line.

When buying your metal tag on line you can also select a moose Harvest Tag and another locking metal tag for the moose.

The HT for moose is free, but the locking metal tag for a NR is spendy. Same for the drawing permit for the bou - cheap permit, but that metal locking tag is pricy. Do not get caught in the field without the paper and the metal tags. Even more spendy at that point.

AK Ray thanks! That is a great link and I have spent a TON of time on the AK G&F website and not seen that page yet. There website is a maze!

I have not received anything in the mail yet, which is part of the confusion.

Has anyone else received anything in the mail regarding a permit they drew?

As someone mentioned I only paid $5 to apply so I know I owe more.

The other thing you can do is buy the most expensive tag that you might expect to fill on your hunt. I don't have them memorized, but moose or bear would probably fit that bill. You can use the more expensive tag on a cheaper animal. So if you bought a bear tag and the moose is cheaper, you could use it on moose or bear (assuming they are in season, etc.). If you are hunting caribou in a moose harvest area, and you'd be happy with just one of them, you can just buy the moose tag and shoot what you see first (legal animal by whatever tag you hold, open season, etc).

Have fun and good luck!

If you are going to use the more expensive tag on an animal different than what the tag is used for, you really to do your homework and read up on the requirements.......

I though non-residents were required to purchase the $85 non-resident hunting license BEFORE applying for drawing permits? What do you put in the license Number field to avoid that? Are you a non-resident applying as a resident?

Non-Res tags: Brownies $500, Dall $425, Swamp Donkeys $400, Bou $325.

I have not received anything in the mail yet, which is part of the confusion.

Has anyone else received anything in the mail regarding a permit they drew?

As someone mentioned I only paid $5 to apply so I know I owe more.
    Nobody has received their permits in the mail yet. They have not mailed them out yet. This is standard. If they mail them out too early, people lose them and they have to waste a bunch of time/effort providing duplicates for people. To avoid that, they wait until closer to the hunt time. Usually, they go out about 3 weeks prior to the hunt opening.

Thanks anchskier, I do have the hunting license for this year.

Also, as for using tags on lessor game, I had a post here before but I think the jist was my moose tag is different then an OTC moose tag because it was drawn - so my tag, when I buy it, same for bou, bottom line is I think I need to be really carefull.

As a NR I cannot take dall/griz (stinks they are around my area) so my moose tag is highest price, there is a slim chance I might see a big blackie - but I already have one from POW so I would be hard pressed to shoot one. Hence, on this hunt, it is unlikely I will use that option.

When are the 2012-2013 regs going to be out it is mid June and due any day I think?