Thread: brushkana

Default brushkana

i haven't had a chance to look at a map yet, but it is my understanding that the brushkana meanders around and eventually flows into the nenana. my question is does it flow into the nenana where you cross the nenana on the denali hwy? as i drove past last week after leaving the brushkana campground i noticed another creek coming into the nenana. after having spent some time on the brushkana the day prior i assumed that this was the brushkana that entered the nenana at this point. and this doesn't seem too far from where one would put in at the burshkana campground. is this true and has anybody out there floated this section? it was a little harry when i went so i opted out of trying to float it for any significant stretch (not familiar with it either). any info would be great. thanks in advance.

chris

Default Brushkana Creek

I have done the creek six times at several different water levels. The harder water starts about a mile below the campground and is a grade harder than what you see at the road. At low water it is extremly rocky class II, at medium II+- III-, but at high water it is continuous class III for about a half mile.
    When you dump into the Nenana you can take a trail on the left that comes to the river, which originates about mile 109, or go 12 miles, down the Nenana, back to the road.
    Fish Seattle Creek, and Wells has a few at the mouth.
    Six miles of Brushkana to Nenana, three are whitewater.

Default Brushkana raft size

What is the largest raft you would put on the Brushkana at high water flows? I have a nimble 14 foot self bailer.

Side note: at the confluence of the Brushkana and Nenana there is a railroad siding called 'Windy". It is aptly named. I have been blown upstream on the Brushkana here. Hit it before the day breeze kicks up.

Default raft size

Actually, on one trip, my kids and I took a self- bailing 9footer, the water was a stout medium flow, I would say. However, I saw the creek the other day, at extremely high water, and it had 3-4ft breaking waves at the bridge, then it was probably raftable in a 14 footer. The real problem, at any normal flow, concerning a big boat, is rocks.

You can do it, but... you may regret even trying, and besides, the fishing sucks at high water. For hunting take the trail, instead, then you can cross the Nenana and hike off into the sunset.

If you want to try, make sure the gravel bar at the campground is covered to the bushes behind the campground host's slot. Take minimal gear, to keep the boat light, you will most likely be pulling it off of rocks.

thanks for the reply. so i take it that floating the additional 12 miles to the nenana would put me out at the spot near the hwy again, a 2nd takeout near the road? or can you see the road from where it dumps into the nenana? it was raging pretty good when i was out there last week; a lot of class III. after seeing it when i pulled up i thought we were going to get skunked, nevertheless the fishing was phenomenal, around 70 grayling in an hour or so.

Default road access

Yes, the Nenana comes right to the road with a place to park. Wow 70 fish around the campground? Below the whitewater the fishing is much better, so it is crazy down there. It is my kids favorite fishing creek.
    I have a youtube posted of one of our trips, with many fish being caught, but it may be blocked, because of music, I have'nt filed a copyrights fair use claim yet. Try and see if it works, I can see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the reply. just down river from the day use shelter there were some small eddies right near where the river forks; they were packed in there like sardines. also on either side of the bridge and about 100yds upriver from the bridge also provided excellent fishing. i'll have to check your video out. lots of rocks like you mentioned, geez. is it like that for the whole float? would you suggest floating it at low water considering that it'd be my first time and am not familiar with it? and lastly, any good bars to pitch camp on along the route? thanks again.

forgot to mention that i'd be in a packraft if that makes a difference or not. thanks.

Default packraft

Perfect, any flow but ultra high will be good for the boat, and yes there are good bars to camp on, it turns into meandering water and pools.

I floated it several years ago in a 16-foot cataraft. The water was very high, well into the willows at the CG. That was much easier as most of the rocks were submerged. Once you hit Monahan Creek it all slows way down and stays that way for a while. It picks up a bit when the Nenana comes in. The take-out at Mile 14 of the Nenana Hwy is a good one, although continuing down to the Windy bridge on the Parks Hwy is well worth the trip.