Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another stolen outboard

Default Another stolen outboard

Right off the back of my boat in Palmer. They also broke into my shop and snatched four standby shrimp pots and a busted chain saw. The motor is a 6 hp suzuki long shaft serial number 00601F-683090.

Does anyone know if pawn shops run serial numbers past APD or Troopers ?

Not out in the valley there is nothing in place
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Unreal!!!!!! Was the kicker locked to the boat? Somebody is going to get some vigilante justice one of these days.

When did this occur? CAN'T STAND THIEVES!!!!!!

sorry about your motor that just happened to me this past friday. I filled a police report for here in anchorage and my brother is also a cop here. He said that if it goes to a pawn shop here in town that they are "supposed" to run the numbers to see if it is stolen or not. I know that the past three times that i have been out this year i have been stopped by fish and game at the docks and not once did they check my serial #'s, i think that if they did this then there would be alot of found kicker motors.

Watch Craigslist daily...for the entire state. Another idea would be to email pictures to the various pawn shops; it may be easier for them to remember a picture than a description.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    sorry about your motor that just happened to me this past friday. I filled a police report for here in anchorage and my brother is also a cop here. He said that if it goes to a pawn shop here in town that they are "supposed" to run the numbers to see if it is stolen or not. I know that the past three times that i have been out this year i have been stopped by fish and game at the docks and not once did they check my serial #'s, i think that if they did this then there would be alot of found kicker motors.
    Fish and Game folks working he docks don't have the authority or a reason to check serial numbers...they're biologists. Troopers could check, but they have bigger issues to deal with than check every serial number, of every motor, on every boat...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Fish and Game folks working he docks don't have the authority or a reason to check serial numbers...they're biologists. Troopers could check, but they have bigger issues to deal with than check every serial number, of every motor, on every boat...
    Yeah it slows thing already just on license checks. I couldn't imagine them taking the time to learn where every manufacturer puts their serial number then running the number on their computer. A good thought but really impracticle.

My dad bought a kicker years ago from a guy that ended up being stolen. They made a deal to meet at a campground as the guy was supposedly down on the Peninsula for the weekend fishing. A year or two later my dad tried to order parts over the phone. When the parts guy asked for the serial/model number my dad couldn't find the metal plate it was on. That's when he realized it was most likely stolen.
    So it is possible these stolen motors may not have a serial number on them anymore.
    And if you are buying a motor if it doesn't have a readable serial number ask a lot of questions before buying. If the answers are sketchy then walk away from the deal.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Not all bad news, contact your insurance company and it should be covered. Still sucks though.

I am looking to buy a small short shaft for a cargo canoe as well as a kicker for my Alumaweld- after these stories I am going to pass on used ones and just buy new to make sure they are not another member's 'lost' motor. I have seen some interesting locks that block the screw down's and think I will get those.

I am sorry for y'alls losses and frustration!

BEE

I had the same thing happen this year the day before the King derby. I had Just put the kicker on my boat for the trip about 9pm and when I got up at 4:30am it was gone right off the boat and out of the yard, Lake Lucille in Wasilla. I still have not replaced it yet as I had not added it to my coverage and it is a total loss. Hate those thieves

Had mine stolen off my boat in the Deshka Landing last fall and I am now afraid to buy a new one and put it on cause it will probably just get taken again. I watched craigslist all winter and this spring and summer and have still not seen it for sale yet but I keep looking. Sucks

WOW!!, This whole thread is so discouraging!! I don't even have a kicker on my boat but am now parking it in the back yard where I can see it from the bedroom window and it is less in view of the road.

It's a shame. I have a Go Devil Surface Drive, that is attached to the transom with through-bolts. I'm wondering if replacing the cranks on outboard with through-bolts would help thwart these guys...or maybe some type of cable lock wrapped around/through the motor and attached to an eyebolt that can be removed for operation.

It may not stop a determined thief, but could make them think twice. To bad rigging with a booby trap (hand grenade) is illegal!

Just thinkin'
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    It's a shame. I have a Go Devil Surface Drive, that is attached to the transom with through-bolts. I'm wondering if replacing the cranks on outboard with through-bolts would help thwart these guys...or maybe some type of cable lock wrapped around/through the motor and attached to an eyebolt that can be removed for operation.

It may not stop a determined thief, but could make them think twice. To bad rigging with a booby trap (hand grenade) is illegal!

Just thinkin'
    Bad idea. Shrapnel would surely damage the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post

Just thinkin'
    I would think that pulling a 220 lb motor would be hard to do, but I am getting some of those through bolts that you can run a large master lock through. Don't seem like there is too much stopping these guys, pretty sad.

I grew up in a city of over a million people, and I don't know of anyone who ever had an outboard stolen. I am surprised at how much crime there is in Alaska. I grew up bass fishing, and, over the years, we had three different small boats w/ "kickers" as you call them, fished bass tournaments out of them, never had a problem. Theft was always in the back of our minds, and we kept a padlock through the crank down attachments, parked the boat at restaurants and sat here we could see it, but none of the people we fished with ever had a problem.

For the small population up here, this just shouldn't be an issue.

Some thoughts on previous comments:

AN acquaintance lost his ham radio, mounted in his car, to theft. He found it in a pawn shop in Mountain View. APD was little help, and, long story short, he ended up buying his radio back from the pawn shop. It's not in a pawn shops interest to check goods for stolen status; it cuts into their profits too much. Besides, it's not like they're law enforcement officers or anything. Although, APD does circulate a list of stolen goods to the local shops; the shop owners are SUPPOSED to check.

We had our cabin, and several in the area broke into a few years back. Primary targets were generators. One of the guys up there found his on Craisilst, went to verify it, called APD. Come to find out, most of the stuff went outside to be sold. Very little of it was sold here. We never saw our generator again.

So yeah, your best bet is to be your own detective, go to all of the pawn shops in all of the seedy areas within about 100 miles with photos and serial numbers (especially photos of very unique scratches etc.,) and ask for their help. Maybe even offer a reward. The watch Craigslist and Alaska list like a hawk. That's probably your only chance. Dont be too hopeful for anything from the police, although they may get lucky and stumble onto it during an unrelated investigation.

Good luck.

While you're making it so that thieves can't steal your outboard, don't forget about those expensive props. Especially the stainless ones on the Bravo 3s or Volvo duoprops. I think a lot of thefts in AK (or maybe anywhere for that matter) are so that someone can buy drugs. Should put all the thieves that are caught and convicted out on Attu. No excuse for taking something that someone else earned.

mcgard makes outboard, prop and kicker locks similar to locking lug nuts. May well be worth the $$.

http://www.mcgard.com/marineproducts/outboardmotorlocks

This is what I was thinking about getting for my cargo outboard and kicker.....

Panther Marine™ Outboard Motor Lock

• Protects your turnbuckle-mounted outboard from theft
    • Easy to install
    • Solid brass padlock with carbon steel receiver

Protect your turnbuckle-mounted engines from theft. This easy-to-install lock features a solid brass padlock coupled to a heavy-gauge, powder-coated carbon steel receiver for element-blocking durability. The lock hooks to your turnbuckle-mounted outboard for extra security at home or one the lake. Two keys included.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._020725_999_02

Any thoughts?

BEE

This problem with theft in AK and elsewhere is getting out of hand.Had my 8HP kicker stolen right from the repair shop where the boat was being serviced. Of course no one at the shop has any clue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast