Thread: Tent camping along the Glenn Hwy towards Valdez?

Default Tent camping along the Glenn Hwy towards Valdez?

My wife and I are making our yearly pilgrimage to Alaska again this year. This year, I thought it would be fun to stay in a tent for the first few days before heading down to the Kenai. We will be landing in ANC on July the 18th and I thought we might head towards Valdez to discover some new territory we havn't seen before. Can someone give me some ideas where we can find some nice tent campgrounds? We are kind of loners so the more private the better. We will be in an SUV. She ain't up to the hike in and tent yet? LOL

State campgrounds on the Glenn hwy are kind of sparse. King Mt. rec. area is near the head of the Matanuska valley about 90 miles from ANC. The Richardson hwy has the Dry Creek campground about 7 miles north of Glennallen and the Mt. Billy Mitchell campground 30 or so miles to the south.

There are a few private cmpgrounds on the Glenn hwy, but I don't know how tent friendly they are. A copy of the Milepost would list most everything available along the route.

What about up to Chitina and on past that towards McCarthy? Are there any camping spots up that way?

Yes, there are a couple of private canpgrounds at the end of the McCarthy rd. Cross the footbridge to walk or get a ride into McCarthy itself or to the Kennicot mine.

Chitna is right at the personal use and subsistence fishing areas so there's ALOT of people there when the fish are in. Check with the local native corp for locations and any applicable tresspass fees. Maybe one of the people who dipnet there can help with that.

Liberty Falls is always a favorite place to stop on the way to chitina.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/commis/pic/campgrounds.htm

I've never stopped there in all the times I've gone to McCarthy. I'm going to have to check that place out one of these times.

Just poke around. Check things out. Hard to go wrong as long as you aren't driving the semi-mobile shopping mall around and stuck on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    I've never stopped there in all the times I've gone to McCarthy. I'm going to have to check that place out one of these times.
    Yup there's a trail to take you above the falls. And if you watch for it there is a trail just before (heading toward chitina) the campground that takes you up on a bench to camp. Good view from there.

I'll definitely check it out next time I'm headed back that way. I'm usually just passing through on the way to the end of the road, but it sounds like I'll need a break next trip. Lol

Squirrel Creek is another nice campground. It's across the river from Tonsina Lodge. It's quiet and the outhouses are clean (at least when I've stayed there). There aren't any fish in the pond there, but Squirrel Creek runs right by it and has some dollies and grayling. The Lodge has tent camping as well and a pretty good dinner menu.

I'm very familiar with Squirrel Cr. I stay there quite often when heading to Valdez. I agree it's one of the nicer, quieter campgrounds. I've fished the creek down towards the mouth while waiting for the rest of the family to wake.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate that useful information. I don't ever come to AK without as least two firearms, but how about bears up that way? The wife has bear spray, I have guns!

It's Alaska bears can be anywhere. Be prepared even if it's just knowing that one could be watching at any moment.

Bears are pretty much everywhere, but are rarely a problem if you keep a clean camp. They'll wander in at night, check everything out, and then move on to the next one. Keep food and fish slimed clothes locked in the vehicle. Keep tents far enough apart to allow bears safe passage between them. You don't want the bear to get startled while trapped between tents.

We had a young black bear last year in Valdez that made nightly and morning rounds. Over the course of 4 nights, I heard 3 other canpsites get trashed. He paid us a morning visit while we were making breakfast once, but a turboprop on final aproach to Valdez airport scared him off. His nightly visits were uneventful to us since I am very picky about keeping a clean site. I do keep a sharp knife near to me while sleeping in case we need to make a new back door. I'd rather not discharge bearspray inside a tent, but it is there as well.