Thread: Need help with steering unit on outboard motor

Default Need help with steering unit on outboard motor

Buddy calls me and says if I can get his boat running, I can use all summer. Boston Whaler 21 footer. Yamaha 200 V6 that's seen some use. It started right away, but is not peeing. Not sure where to start there, but its not my real question. His steering system uses a Hynautic hydraulic system. The steering wheel was completly frozen until I bled off the air pressure. Now the wheel turns freely, but doesnt turn motor at all. Put any air in the system and it completly freezes again. Couple pictures of the sytem. How do you bleed this system? Perhaps the ram/rod that pushes/steers the motor is frozen? Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Try pushing motor side to side with no air in system. If it does not move suspect corroded or frozen steering rod.

Yeah, motor compleatly frozen, can't push at all with no air in the system

Pull the steering rod at the motor, buy a 12 gauge shotgun bore brush and polish bore, clean rod. Grease could be dryed up inside, same thing happened to me. Oh buy brush that fits bore, maybe mot 12g!

Unbolt the motor from the steering rod (stainless steel piece attached to motor and steering rod) and see if it moves side to side. If it does move freely, remove steering rod like alaskapirhana said... Could be the actual pivot point (Veritcal shaft behind the transom of the boat, usually has a couple zerts on it) on the motor and not the steering rod. Best thing to do is unbolt the motor from the steering rod and see what happens.

The rod in the TILT TUBE is probably frozen [ rusted ] You will have to disassemble, Clean and grease.
    If that doesn't work, call UFlex and order a new system.
    www.uflexusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Unbolt the motor from the steering rod (stainless steel piece attached to motor and steering rod) and see if it moves side to side. If it does move freely, remove steering rod like alaskapirhana said... Could be the actual pivot point (Veritcal shaft behind the transom of the boat, usually has a couple zerts on it) on the motor and not the steering rod. Best thing to do is unbolt the motor from the steering rod and see what happens.
    Did exactly that last night. The pivot point on the motor was frozen. A couple good pushes/pulls and it come loose, still very stiff though. HOoked arm back up and it turns, but its a workout. DOes anybody know what PSI these sytems are supposed to run at? The settings on the unit are rubbed off, I've seen posts online that around 30psi is the good setting.

Grease the living s*** out of those zerts and spray it down with a bunch pb blaster or some good penetrating catalyst oil... Might have to redo it several times, might also try to heat it up a little bit with a torch to get it to free up.. careful though, cause grease is flamable... I wouldn't put too much stress on that steering system, never know when she could blow.

second qpaul99, don't turn the motor with the steering rod, it is also expensive when you break it. I would use a heat gun instead of a torch though. You can also pull the fittings out and spray PB Blaster in several times until it works it way in. You then must flush it with grease, as above lots of grease. again qpaul99 gave you the ans.

So I must be really missing something, as the only zerks I can find are for where the motor tilts up. Where do I find the greese fittings for the turning? On the kicker motor there is a zerk at lower part of the shaft. Don't see the same on the big motor. Forgive my ignorance, have only worked on inboards! Thanks again.

I did a quick Google search for ya...pivot arm Yamaha 200 outboard and came up with the fix on iboats.com forum

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

There should be some zerts on the vertical part of the motor just above the lower unit (on the swivel bracket). Might have to tilt the motor up to see them, they could be between the transom mount and the shaft housing. So tilt the motor up and investigate and take pictures and post if you need to...