Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Any 264 Win Mag fans on here?

  1. #1

    Default Any 264 Win Mag fans on here?

    Building my first 264wm from a Rem700 and a Lilja #3 contoured barrel. I was wondering if anyone was a fanof this cartridge.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    Building my first 264wm from a Rem700 and a Lilja #3 contoured barrel. I was wondering if anyone was a fanof this cartridge.

    any 6.5 is cool

  3. #3

    Default

    I haven't owned one in years, but in the 60's and 70's i was a sincere fan. Only reason I don't own one now is I thoroughly shot out a couple, and being short on funds at the time, never got around to replacing it. You remind me that it's a serious lack in my gun rack!

    Recently I've been wondering just what could be done in the caliber with some of today's powders. Back then it was H-4831 all the way, but I never felt it took the caliber to its full velocity potential. BTW- I shot 140 grain bullets almost exclusively. With the new powders, that could change too.

  4. #4
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    I built one on a 1917 action many moons ago, Fajen wood, nice gun but never really shot it much. One of those "Tweeners" that just never really had much use - maybe a good coyote, mule deer, antelope?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    - maybe a good coyote, mule deer, antelope?
    I shot maybe a dozen Rocky Mountain elk and four Roosevelt elk with mine. DRT on all of them. Having shot moose with 270's and 7 mags (all one-shot kills) I'd have no qualms adding moose to the list for the 264. It's just not stylish in today's big bullet world, but it certainly did the job in its day.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In an easy chair in Cyberspace
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I shot maybe a dozen Rocky Mountain elk and four Roosevelt elk with mine. DRT on all of them. Having shot moose with 270's and 7 mags (all one-shot kills) I'd have no qualms adding moose to the list for the 264. It's just not stylish in today's big bullet world, but it certainly did the job in its day.

    6,5 isnt stylish, but its a well reputed killer. IIRC an early Alaskan or arctic explorer was wackin polar bears with a 6.5x54MS which is anemic compared to the .264 Win Mag.......

    I can recall reading about a 6.5 Carcano passing through two humans.....

  7. #7
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    6,5 isnt stylish, but its a well reputed killer. IIRC an early Alaskan or arctic explorer was wackin polar bears with a 6.5x54MS which is anemic compared to the .264 Win Mag.......

    I can recall reading about a 6.5 Carcano passing through two humans.....
    Charles Sheldon visited Denali for a couple years in the early twentieth century with a 6.5x54 and in his writings he never complained about its effectiveness on moose, bears, sheep, etc... He must have tallied several hundred big game critters on his expedition with his Mannlicher . It's hard to get less performance out of a 6.5 than you get with a 6.5x54, but it was enough then and I'd have no qualms about using a 264 WM now.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Pole Alaska
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    Building my first 264wm from a Rem700 and a Lilja #3 contoured barrel. I was wondering if anyone was a fanof this cartridge.
    I have built/bought 3 different of these calibers in the last two years, and just ordered another barrel from Lilja about 4 hours ago to put on a trued Rem 700 action. I went with a number 4 contour on this project. Here are the actions/barrels I have built/bought so far

    Colt Light Rifle with a number 1 Lilja 8 Twist, have not gotten a load yet started
    HS Precision Sporter Lightweight 24" Fluted 9 Twist, shooting 129gr Hornady IB at 3211 fps
    Sako AIII with a number 2 Lilja 25" 9 Twist, shooting 130 Nosler AB at 3195 fps

    Of the two above rifles I have developed loads for, IMR 7828SSC works great for high end velocity and accurate loads.

    The 264WM is my second favorite 6.5mm caliber. My favorite.........6.5x280AI, getting 264WM velocities but one extra round in the box magazine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •