Thread: Kenai River Regs - Visual Aids

Default Kenai River Regs - Visual Aids

I found myself jotting down charts on scratch paper in an attempt to sort out the exceedingly complex Kenai River regs. Then it dawned on me that what they need as a supplement to the regs book is a graphical depiction of the regs based on dates and locations. So, I threw together the attached calendar chart that shows when the mainstem of the Kenai is open (green) or closed (red) to the various gear and species. The blue cells depict the "special" cases that really need you to read the regs to be sure of what you can/can't do or when there is a mid-month opening.

At any rate, I kinda like how it is looking and plan to expand the number of charts in order to cover other things, such as bag limits, special use zones, and primary tributary fishing waters. The though being that one could have 2 or 3 laminated cards tucked away in a tackel box or in the boat console for quick reference as to the heart of the regs.

Thought I'd share my first draft at this little project and solicit any input or suggestions. I'd be happy to continue to post revisions and expanded charts as I go if there is any interest in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, I think you just put 20 pages of confusion onto 1 legible page! I will definitely look this over carefully and see if I think there is anything you might add, but looks good now.

Where are Dolly Vardens? Can I fish between Upper Killey river and Skilak Lake on the Kenai River for Dolly Varden? (Hint: the answer is no, but I can't tell that from your chart.....it's closed to all sport fishing, thanks).

Sorry, forgot the dates, May 2 through June 10??

BP, don't be so dramatic. The chart quite clearly notes the May 2 to June 10 closure on the upper river as well as on the lower river for rainbows. Of course, what you're referring to is that little bitty chunk of river below the lake that is closed for 5 weeks. That's a special case that would need it's own chart to spell it out. There are at least a dozen special zones within the lower river that have more restrictive rules. As noted in the first post, my intent was to make a series of "pocket charts" that would give the general regs outline for the river, not all the details. It is impossible to clutter up a chart of this style with the added rules for all those little sanctuary zones.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!