Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian river opener!!

Default Russian river opener!!

Russian river opens 2night at midnight!! Anyone knows if fish are in?? Can't go until next weekend but heard a lot of guys are headed that way. Anybody been down that way or there now? How's the crowd and any fish spotted staging?? I assume there gonna be more people then fish huh!! Just looking for updates so I can decide wether to go up to klutina or just hit the Russian? From the other post those beening caught up on the klu looks really big and nice compare to the ones we usually catch on the Russian opener. Been by the klu many times but never fished it, but after seeing those pics I want to go try!!😄 I heard the camp grounds are packed up on the klu, is that only over the weekends only or is it 24/7? Thanks 4 any info?? Fresh reds sounds good... Yummy in my tummy!!😜 lol

From what Ive heard there are some fish staging down there. Probably will be more people than fish for the first few days but it beats working. Its a much closer drive than the klutina so its worth a shot to find some open bank and see what turns up. If you decide to go please report back as Im curious as well. Im off work for the next month after just a few more days of work so trying to decide my first trip on my time off.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'll let u know my bro n law is off this tues wens so as soon as he gets back. Also I heard that cooper river reds don't have any worms is this true?? I did noticed that kasilof reds r way smaller then the kenai and do have way more worms!! Just the thought but u think from having all those parasites stuns thier growth?? Mayb that's y cooper river and kenai reds r bigger?? They all probably have worms but some areas have less then others??

Im probably not seeing them but Ive NEVER seen a salmon with worms in it and Ive eaten hundreds of em. Bottom feeding fish Ive seen plenty of worms in (cod, pollack, halibut etc.) but not a salmon. They may exist but Ive yet to cut one open and find it full of worms. The size of the fish probably has to do more with the breeding stock and water conditions where they feed than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Im probably not seeing them but Ive NEVER seen a salmon with worms in it and Ive eaten hundreds of em. Bottom feeding fish Ive seen plenty of worms in (cod, pollack, halibut etc.) but not a salmon. They may exist but Ive yet to cut one open and find it full of worms. The size of the fish probably has to do more with the breeding stock and water conditions where they feed than anything.
    Keep in mind, next time you fillet one look closely at the egg sack area. They usually hang around the sack but further investigation and if u pay close enough attention u will find them in between the layered meat as well when your eating them!! Out of all my years I've found that kasilof have the worst!! I was watching a tv show call monsters inside me n they were doing expiriments on the worms. Lemon juice, half cooked, or partially frozen will not kill them!! Only way is fully cook or frozen for 3days at certain temp. To kill them!! That's y I stopped eating fresh salmon sushi, not until it's been frozen for few days!! Hopefully I don't have those worms inside me!!! I know halibut have them too!! Especially late caught ones. Under belly (white section) you'll c little red holes that's worms burrowing into the meat!! One of my buddy loves the bone and brain marrow. 1 time he said he went to go suck the marrow out of back bone n brain!! Guess what he said something didn't feel right so he spitt it out and it was a mouth full of worms!! Grose....yuck!! Was just wondering cause I herd cooper river fish didn't have them?? Lmfao!! They look like strings light brownish tan. They don't look like thier moving but pull them out n set aside n watch them or put in a bowl n squeeze lemon juice. The citrus really gets them moving!! Hopefully I didn't Grose u guys out!! Happy fishing!!

Yeah thats nasty. Next time I get one down there Ill cut into it a little more and see if I can spot some. I know they are probably there I just havent seen any in a salmon yet.

When I first started fishing for salmon here I didn't think much of it, after few years and late season fishing I noticed more. One day I pulled two while making sushi from fillet n juiced it with lemon just to b curious. They started moving around and after few hours they were still moving!! Few yrs later that's when I saw that show on the worms!! They get it bad especially reds late in the season!! Check it out bro!! I looked at silvers n they don't have any?? Kings have a few but not like reds. Everybody loves reds I guess!! At first I thought it was part of the guts or something of that nature..... But nope it's not. Anyone else noticed the same problem???

yea i havent sen many fish with them but did catch a couple silvers one year that had them had seen them in perch and a few other fish in the lower 48 so they didnt bother me to much and just made sure the fish was cooked and not raw at all

Quote Originally Posted by caribouhunter1 View Post
    yea i havent sen many fish with them but did catch a couple silvers one year that had them had seen them in perch and a few other fish in the lower 48 so they didnt bother me to much and just made sure the fish was cooked and not raw at all
    Oops!! Monster inside me!! Aaaaahhhh!! I've eaten them raw up until that day!! Not all the time. Hope for the best!! I'm too from lower 48 (California) but never noticed worms in them?? also I've noticed lately almost all the rainbows have tape worms!! I'm always curious to c what they been feeding on and that's what I've found!!

Waters high. Some reds and rainbows hanging around. Nothing crazy and there are more people than fish. Tis the season.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Almost every Kenai red I've opened had worms. They look like white threads. They are really small but all over the guts.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Almost every Kenai red I've opened had worms. They look like white threads. They are really small but all over the guts.
    Yes mr Viking!!!! U know what I'm talking about. U find n e in the meat while eating?? Looks like white rubbery strings after cooked?? I try not to think about it but will occasionally c n pick them out!!😝😖 I guess not many know or pay close enough attention to details?? But I guess I'm not the only one on the boat!! I haven't gotten around to c if klu/cooper reds have them or not??? But if the klu is not as crazy as everyone claims then perhaps just a Russian run will do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    Yes mr Viking!!!! U know what I'm talking about. U find n e in the meat while eating?? Looks like white rubbery strings after cooked?? I try not to think about it but will occasionally c n pick them out!! I guess not many know or pay close enough attention to details?? But I guess I'm not the only one on the boat!! I haven't gotten around to c if klu/cooper reds have them or not??? But if the klu is not as crazy as everyone claims then perhaps just a Russian run will do!!
    Top ramen? Yummy! Lol!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Yes the copper reds have them but they seem to be fewer and farther between. Not sure why this is. I am the same way, i dont eat them raw anymore, as long as they are cooked... no worries!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Top ramen? Yummy! Lol!
    That's a good one!! Lmfao😂!! Top ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
    Yes the copper reds have them but they seem to be fewer and farther between. Not sure why this is. I am the same way, i dont eat them raw anymore, as long as they are cooked... no worries!
    Well that's good to know. I guess they all have them especially kasilof reds they r infested with them!!😱 poor things they r getting the life sucked out of them since birth or egg?? That's y they r so much smaller!! O by the way u can still eat sushi just make sure u carve out the slab u want n then put in ziplock filled with water, let as much air out n freeze it rock solid for three days. Take out n let thaw out naturally and dry off with napkins or towel. Slice thinly and carry on with the raw sushi!! That's how the sushi bars does it! I still eat my raw sushi but not until properly handled. That will definitely kill them I know cause I've tried it. No longer moving if given time to freeze. The water ice crystal will expand the worms until they die!! Yummy can't wait to get my hands on some!! Enjoy raw sushi!!😄

Good opener. Lots of people though! Could use some Top Roman right now!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Limited mine and a proxy in 45 min in russian, water is high and fast as expected this year guys in the know should have no problem limiting in next 4-12 hrs after that ? fish good size, newbies and rookies will struggle (fishin ak) fish will be on the move this yr due to high water meaning no corking em off at the upper sancturey line

Cool man it's on fish on!!😄 look for me I'll b making all the noise hooking up the most fish!! Highway side of ferry.

Work is killing me this year!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast