Thread: repower on sea raider 2284 w 225 merc

Default repower on sea raider 2284 w 225 merc

i have a question...i have the sea raider 2284, has a 225 merc opti on it. would like to downsize to a smaller OB. thinking about putting a 150 or 200 hp OB on it. i need some advice on if this is a good move. anyone have any advice?

I have and have been on a few 22' searunner hewes with 150hp yamaha and they work good

Freind has that boat with 225 Honda. Couldn't imagine a 150 it would be a dog. Boat does good with full fuel and four guys and fish run around at half throttle under normal load conditions

I have a 22' Hewes Ocean Pro with a Honda 150, and I think it is underpowered. I wish I could have gotten a larger motor, but did not have enough cash. I would go with a 200hp if you have the cash. But, gas is expensive these days, and a larger motor = larger gas bill.

alright...thanks guys...i will probably repower with a bigger motor than a 150. probably be better in a trough. the boat does ride really well in about 4-5 seas. following sea was able to climb out pretty good with that 225 alright. appreciate the comebacks.

i checked with dustin at deweys and he said that he is overstocked on the 225 yamaha, and selling them less than the 200, so i may go with that. was wondering how that 150 would lift that 22 footer. thanks.

I have to say this is the first time I have heard of anyone thinking about downsizing motors.

I've got a 225 yamaha on my 2284 Sea Raider, and it while it is plenty of motor, it's never too much. Top speed with 17 pitch Stainless prop is 38 knots, cruises at 24 knots at 4000 rpm....gas mileage at 3.1 mpg. With this motor I can take whatever and whoever I want and if you can afford the boat, you can likely afford the gas.

Handles big seas excellently, couldn't be happier. Was supposed to come with a 150 but I upgraded, owned too much wimpy equipment in my life.....but not this one.

I had twin honda 130's on my Alumaweld. Repowered to a single 350. I get much better gas mileage at less rpm

Quote Originally Posted by sokdeye View Post
    i checked with dustin at deweys and he said that he is overstocked on the 225 yamaha, and selling them less than the 200, so i may go with that. was wondering how that 150 would lift that 22 footer. thanks.
    Just wondering why you are getting away from the opti if you repower w/ another 225?
    Is the opti worn out or are you unhappy with it?
    I myself prefer the 4 strokes, but many folks are happy w/ their strokers.............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Running a 22' Raider with a 200hp 2 stroke Yamaha and would not go any lower in HP. I will also drive this outboard till it dies, a little more fuel to run it, but you can't deny the power. Troll with 9.9 to keep the hours low on the main.